Help with my decision!

dmadigan

Hi All,

I am in the market and looking to buy a car that I can modify and the 2005/2006 acura rsx type-s has caught my eye. A little about me, I own an 07 accord with minor exterior modification and I/H/E, along with a recently sold 2006 Evo (electric blue 8) ) making 500.9whp on 3rd dyno run @ motion lab tuning, Charlotte/North Carolina.

Now, I am looking for a reliable car to build up to around 300whp and wanted to know what kind of issues I would run into with the 05-06 RSX Type-S. I'm more looking for what kind of modifications would need to be made to meet those goals, what the maximum boost on stock internals, any weak points in the engine/suspension/steering/etc.

I am a Honda guy, and i love the K series because of their design, strength and overall dependability.

The type of modifications I had in mind were as follows:
Intake (K&N / Weapon R)
Headers (Possibly Skunk2 Alpha Series / DCRH)
Full Exhaust (Love my A'pexi ws2 on my accord/considering buddy club)
Throttle Body (Again, Skunk2 74mm)
RRC Intake Manifold
Coils (Spec D2 were on the evo and I loved them)
Upgraded Sway
Can't decide if cam's or not.
Obviously a tune after this...

What else do you guys suggest, would these mods get me in the 225whp range, or higher?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

randomhobo

automagic user
The 2005-06 Type-S came stock with a 210hp K20Z1 stock so if you aren't making at least 225hp with the list you have there are probably some serious issues (assuming you had an accurate dyno readout after a finished tune).

But then again http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Integra_DC5 is quite a useful site for building off the base outputs.

dmadigan

So are there any short comings in the RSX, or any issues I need to be aware of in the 2005/2006 range? Any tranny or engine problems that need to be addressed before reaching 250-300whp? Obviously looking to get a new fly and stage II clutch (Had an exedy twin disk Hd on my evo and it was decent, but short life span).

randomhobo

automagic user
From what I have heard the base models transmissions weren't that great, but then again why buy a base model in the first place?