DC2 vs EP3 vs DC5, what to get

Two

Hey everyone. I will be a senior in highschool within the next month and am planning to buy a newer Honda before graduation, which is in April. I have been researching all these cars for months, as well as the CRZ, lol, and well, I need help making a decision. Some factor here are definitely - Price, Availability, Modification ease(of price), Daily driveability, and last but not least, Performance.

Starting out with the Dc2, I will say I much prefer the bodystyle of the dc2 to the dc5. Price is ok, around 5k if you can actually find one in good shape with a b18c. The only thing with this, which will also show up with the ep3, is that the ls version has much less power. I definitely want 200+ plus from a dynojet, and this wont happen on a B18b without extensive engine work, which I feel comfortable with some of it, but I am poor. $3k budget for mods, with ~3 months to install before I go off to college.

Moving on the the dc5, I would get a type S. That being said, insurance will be HIGH, and I really doubt my mom could afford to pay for it every month after taking up my cb7's insurance every month. The good thing is that they are available and even though they get up to $10000, I feel confident I can pick one up for ~7500 or less. I would go Kpro and a good street I/H/E, with a tune, and that would be ~2000. That leaves wiggle room for a good set of coiloover, and maybe some nice wheels and sticker tires for the upped spring rates.

Now, to the ep3! I love the hot hatch look and honestly, if it drove like a dc2(I haven't driven any of them, just speculation from online), I would get it. Although I still love the dc2 bodystyle, it turns me on in weird ways. :shock: Well, ep3 insurance will probably be about the same as a dc2, probably lower if the dc2 is a newer GSR.. To make any power, I would probably either have to swap or turbo, and well, even though turbo is a lot more work, you get way more power for your money, so I would just wait and do that. I would maybe put some upgraded plugs and wires, an intake or maybe just a drop in filter, and clean up the bay a little bit. I could see myself going full I/H/E, and later supercharging, which is what I would probably like to do with all of them eventually, but well, the budget. 3k, and I would definitely want the HFP lip kit for the ep3, which is like, $1000.. So...

Please give me your opinions and thoughts on this. I will be in Chattanooga for college, and I live in Jackson, tn now. I mainly want a clean car that feels great to drive on the winding backroads around here. Driveability and fun, with daily driving use is top priority. Within $10000 of spending. Thanks for reading this much.

cody1018

If you love the hatch style why not look into a eg or ek hatch? In all honesty you could find a cleanly swapped hatch that would do what you want it to do and then some. With the ep3 and dc5 parts are really expensive compared to the dc2. Dc2s are awesome but good luck finding a b18c in one unless they swap it. It just boils down to exactly what you want in the end. But as a hs kid going to college I'd say get a hatch. Eg or eks are beastly when you get a b series engine in them and you a lot of good numbers as well

Sent from Wonka's chocolate factory using tapatalk 2

Two

If you love the hatch style why not look into a eg or ek hatch? In all honesty you could find a cleanly swapped hatch that would do what you want it to do and then some. With the ep3 and dc5 parts are really expensive compared to the dc2. Dc2s are awesome but good luck finding a b18c in one unless they swap it. It just boils down to exactly what you want in the end. But as a hs kid going to college I'd say get a hatch. Eg or eks are beastly when you get a b series engine in them and you a lot of good numbers as well

Well, age is a big factor, too. And are the hatches you mentioned better handling with minor street mods(coilovers, bushings, sway bar) than the ep3? Remember, this car needs to last for 4 years, and needs to be reliable. I will be making about 6-7 7 hour interstate drives a year.

itzrivera

Personally, I would buy a clean ls shell and drop an ls motor into and work with that. Cheaper than the other options and you get to learn about cars when you work on them yourself. Save your money for more important things, such as books and tuition.

Two

Personally, I would buy a clean ls shell and drop an ls motor into and work with that. Cheaper than the other options and you get to learn about cars when you work on them yourself. Save your money for more important things, such as books and tuition.
Again, I need a newer car that runs and drive completely, and will last for college. Also, I will have a lot of scholarship money, although not a full scholarship, I am eligile for about 75%-90% of my tuition, which is about 20k, paid. I'll be ok for that. I've got more than 3k, thats just my limit of spending for the most part. Thanks so far for the comments.Someone may ask why I am considering a dc2 if I need a newer car, and will reply and say that they are great cars, and that is it's downfall, along with availability. Finding one in good shape that doesn't have broken parts everywhere will be hard if not impossible.

OLDSKOOLACURA

The crz is junk with that hybrid crap, if they did it the right way it would of been a great car.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

ProjectTeg

Integra's FTMFW
Insurance isn't too bad on the dc5 my buddy is 19 with two tickets and pays a little over 100 a month. Plus the k20a2 is a great platform to build on so that gets my vote.

Sent from my phone.

Two

Insurance isn't too bad on the dc5 my buddy is 19 with two tickets and pays a little over 100 a month. Plus the k20a2 is a great platform to build on so that gets my vote.

Sent from my phone.
Hmm, good input. How much would a k24 with a 6spd be? Or even an a2 with 6 gears. If it would be less than 2 grand, It would probably be better to go with the ep3 still. I have realized that overall the ep3 is a worse can than the dc5, but it is a lot cheaper and insurance is cheaper. Plus, I like the looks better.

cody1018

I'd say don't get a dc5 because the shift box just feels artificial, I personally like the feeling of the b series. And again its personal preference. Just take your time with looking for a car and don't jump into it right away. And the k20a2 is a gutless bastard of the k series. K20a or k20z3 is the only way to go. The k24 is like the Ls of the k series engines. It has a lit of bottom end but lacks the top end. That's why you see many people put a k20 head on a k24 block. And as for interstate driving get a shell buy a b18c with a Ls trans for the gas mileage or a gsr trans with a Ls 5th gear. Just do your research in it before diving into htm you have plenty of time. My advise is stay with a dc2/eg/ek so your able to budget your money better in college while still being able to afford car parts

Two

I'd say don't get a dc5 because the shift box just feels artificial, I personally like the feeling of the b series. And again its personal preference. Just take your time with looking for a car and don't jump into it right away. And the k20a2 is a gutless bastard of the k series. K20a or k20z3 is the only way to go. The k24 is like the Ls of the k series engines. It has a lit of bottom end but lacks the top end. That's why you see many people put a k20 head on a k24 block. And as for interstate driving get a shell buy a b18c with a Ls trans for the gas mileage or a gsr trans with a Ls 5th gear. Just do your research in it before diving into htm you have plenty of time. My advise is stay with a dc2/eg/ek so your able to budget your money better in college while still being able to afford car parts

I currently have a 93 cb7, and really want something newer. That is the downfall to the integra. If I got one, I would want it to be 99--01. It seems like the ep3 has been forgotten. Is it something to be forgotten about? What do you guys have to say for it?

Charly[horse]

Name = John
Get a GSR, it is going to be quite a bit cheaper than the dc5 and ep3. Any of these cars are going to be reliable if you get a clean one, and all of them are going to be plenty fast until you have the money and time to do a engine swap/ engine build; so why not get the Integra? :p Anyway in order I would say Dc2, Ep3, Dc5

cody1018

I currently have a 93 cb7, and really want something newer. That is the downfall to the integra. If I got one, I would want it to be 99--01. It seems like the ep3 has been forgotten. Is it something to be forgotten about? What do you guys have to say for it?
I'd say go with the 98-01 but if I were you I'd convert it to obd1 so your able to do the mods you want to the car and be able to tune on the correct ecu