New to CLUB RSX w/321K MILES!

DC5_ITR_R

Hi Guys,

I just joined CLUB Integra and wanted to share some info with you guys. I recently bought a 03 RSX and had to do a lot of research with it here on CLUB Integra in order to find specs, how to's and issues I had with the car. I bought the car with 321k miles on it for $3,000.

(kinda like this... couldnt resist lol!:lol:) click photo...

(after researching for a while with k20's that had high mileage and problems, I noticed a lot of people were saying they had k's around the 120-150k mile range. I never found anything above 200k. I was laughing :lol: and figured I was in uncharted territory with 321k miles on mine.):shock::cry:

It had a nasty tick, something that sounded like a turbo diesel. :firemad: I figured it was the valve lash that needed to be adjusted. Even with the tick, the car ran super strong and pulled very nicely. The engine does not have any leaks or signs of hard wear and neglect, the tranny shifts super smooth and the clutch and brake feel like new. I have built many Hondas and never have seen a car with so many miles drive so nice and be so clean inside and out(the interior is pretty much like new).

I had come to the conclusion it was a commuter car that was maintained by Honda (starting to pull the engine apart, I noticed a lot of genuine Honda parts).
Long story short, I finally got around to checking codes and found I need an O2 sensor(not bad) and fix the tick. I pulled off the head to find some pretty bad wear on the exhaust cam, from what I found out though was common with early k20's.

I found some new cams within a day of purchasing it and slapped them in, did a valve adjustment and started it up. I still need to install the O2 sensor, but other than that, the car runs like a champ with no CEL's, and better than most Hondas I have purchased in the past.

Here are the pictures....

-P.S.- Hopefully this gives you guys a shed of light on how long your K will last if you maintain it properly. I think I got lucky and found something rare.

Caps look pretty decent for the high mileage....

Figured I would do a new timing chain and tensioner just to be safe...

New Cams

NO CELS

Start up with new Cams (on a cold start).... Runs super quiet once warmed up.
Click photo to see video...

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Awesome, good to see high mileage cars taken care of. They will run forever if you maintain them.

Tree

over 300k miles in 11 years...jesus christ..

osiris19

That must've been a cross country hopper. That is a shit ton of miles.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

96GreenDB

And I thought My 96 SE with 273k was a lot with original engine and trans haha..... Very nice find.

DC5_ITR_R

Thanks guys. The car is still running like a champ. Although, after I installed my new prime o2 sensor, I kept getting a Cat CEL. I figured it was the second o2 that was misreading now(Cat was below threshold), so I did a Fouler on my rear o2 and so far all CELS have gone away. I think I may have triggered a lean cel by checking my codes once, but after I cleared all my CELS again, none has ever come back. My guess with the lean CEL is that the rear o2 sensor cant sniff out the fuel being that I foulered the o2 and I am using unleaded gas (by mistake) typically I use premium in my Hondas, so my thought is when I refill back to premium, I am going to do 44K and hopefully this fixes that problem. (44K just to help clean out some gunk)

Any thoughts?

DC5_ITR_R

I did want to post this photo and get some input. after doing the fouler on my rear o2 and installing a new prime o2, my gas mileage seemed nuts! is this average for you guys? seems like really good gas mileage. I know nothing is misreading or broken, for the car to be reading like this. thoughts?

(i dont have a picture of the car at a half a tank but the mileage at a half tank now is 230 and i was stomping on the throttle a little bit.... thoughts?)

gsr_nikhil

Thanks guys. The car is still running like a champ. Although, after I installed my new prime o2 sensor, I kept getting a Cat CEL. I figured it was the second o2 that was misreading now(Cat was below threshold), so I did a Fouler on my rear o2 and so far all CELS have gone away. I think I may have triggered a lean cel by checking my codes once, but after I cleared all my CELS again, none has ever come back. My guess with the lean CEL is that the rear o2 sensor cant sniff out the fuel being that I foulered the o2 and I am using unleaded gas (by mistake) typically I use premium in my Hondas, so my thought is when I refill back to premium, I am going to do 44K and hopefully this fixes that problem. (44K just to help clean out some gunk)

Any thoughts?
Have you replaced the cat converter?