DIY: Icebox how-to

speedin

The Transporter
An ice box provides all the benefits of a cold-air intake with none of the hydro-locking risks. It is a great way to cheaply mod your car. If done a certain way (flat black everything) it will look completely stock. Okay, now on to the steps.

first you need to acquire some parts.

=3" diameter thin-walled (1/8" wall thickness) PVC pipe
=1 - 90° PVC long sweep elbow
=1 - 90° PVC street elbow
=1- 2-7/8" diameter x 5" long speaker port (this part serves as the air horn)
=PVC cement or other glue/adhesive (optional)
=flat black paint (optional)
=ebay SRI (short ram intake) kit
------------now their are many out their. but their is 1 that comes with a K&N cone filter (very good).looks like this:

now lets start by assembling the lower portion of the icebox. gather all your parts

1: Cut a piece of PVC piping to a length of approx. 7.0".
2: Attach the 7.0" piece of PVC pipe to the 90° PVC street elbow.
3: Drill a ¼" drain hole in the bottom of the 90° PVC long sweep elbow. This hole will allow water to drain in the event that water enters the intake tube.
4: Attach the 90° PVC long sweep elbow to the 90° PVC street elbow.
5: Cut a piece of PVC piping to a length of 1.5" and fit into the end of PVC elbow. This is needed since the speaker port is not exactly 3" in diameter.
6: Cut the 2-7/8" speaker port to a length of 4.0".
7: Insert the 2-7/8" speaker port into the end of the 90° PVC elbow.

8: Paint the tubing with flat black paint (optional).
9: Place the #56 hose clamp around the joining of the 90° PVC long sweep elbow and the 90° PVC street elbow.
*BretQ*

now that you have the lower portion assembled lets get it in the car. first we have to remove the stock restrictive behemoth

"
1: Jack up the front of car and support the car with jack stands.
2: Remove the lid from airbox and remove the air filter from intake tube.
3: Remove the right front wheel.
4: Remove the screws from the front half of the right side inner fender liner and pull down liner.

5: Remove the bolts from intake resonator and remove the resonator.

6: Compress the top of the PVC intake tube to form an oval shape with your hands. (be careful not to snap it)

7: Insert the PVC intake tube into oval opening in the bottom of the airbox.

8: seal the pvc to the intake box with some silicone.
9: Position the intake opening (air horn) to be directly behind the turn signal.

10: Reinstall the inner fender liner.
11: Reinstall the front wheel.
12: Reinstall the air filter and the lid to the airbox.
13: Remove the jack stands and lower the car to the ground.
*BretQ*

That is the hard part. now its time for the top section.
your lovely ebay kit comes with all you need.

1: Install the SRI just like you normally would.
2: Now you notice that the tube goes right to the stock box. On some kits you may need to trim a few inches off the end of the tube.
3: You should still have the top of the stock airbox off. simply run the tube and filter into the box right where the stock tube went in
4. You will notice there is a gap between the box and the tube. This can be sealed a variety of ways. One method is to use a strip of foam found at the local hardware store. But a better way it to cannibalize the stock filter to steal its rubber ring.
5. Take this cannibalized rubber ring and put it around the SRI tube and then seal it to the tube with silicone.

5: Then simply put the stock top back on

* SurferX*

enjoy your new intake. you now have the ultimate intake (IMO) for minimal cash. and dont worry about the rain :D

information from:
* Bret Q, at http://www.geocities.com/bretq/DIY_Icebox_CAI.html
and
* SurferX, at www.team-integra.net

Last edited:

voltagebluedc2

I'm strongly considering doing this, can you elaborate on step 6, how do i seal up the top part of the box while stil being able to access the filter element to clean it?

speedin

The Transporter
voltagebluedc2 said:
I'm strongly considering doing this, can you elaborate on step 6, how do i seal up the top part of the box while stil being able to access the filter element to clean it?
the silicone can be pulled off and resealed if nessesary. silicone isnt a glue its always flexable. so if u take it off carefully you might get away with not having to re-seal it

voltagebluedc2

speedin said:
the silicone can be pulled off and resealed if nessesary. silicone isnt a glue its always flexable. so if u take it off carefully you might get away with not having to re-seal it
cool thanks!

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
Probably just make some sort of gasket? I know on the DA its clams. I could proably just clamp it down. Looks sweet! will it work on a DA? Don't see why it wouldn't, but just checking.

speedin

The Transporter
Kuchtaboy said:
Probably just make some sort of gasket? I know on the DA its clams. I could proably just clamp it down. Looks sweet! will it work on a DA? Don't see why it wouldn't, but just checking.
same motor i dont see why not

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
This will make a good, cheap intake! Especially since B-series engines' radiator fans blow on the air filter of a short ram intake. I just made a sheetmetal box for my AEM SRI but this is cheaper and easier

speedin

The Transporter
R1DC2 said:
lets see some pics installed in your vehicles!!!
I have a few.

thats the signal removed so air gets crammed in their! :twisted:

thats a up-close with the signal removed.

yOUKNOWae

haha im probably going to do this but does the 1/4" hold really do the trick if water gets into the tube.. wont it get suckd up? or is the intake sucktion not that crazy..