It's Tax Refund B18c1 Rebuild time!!

doopah

This past month, my gsr has burning more oil than usual.
I'm assuming my piston rings are fried
my valve stem and seals need replacing.
The local shop quoted me 800-1200 in parts and labor
depending if he finds any hick-ups (head/damage)

Question I have today is.. What is the best route to go.
I picked up a new full time job and money soon will not be an issue.

Jdm B18C spec R or a rebuild with upgraded internals is what I am trying to decide on.

Local craigslist mechanics telling me to not go the Spec R route... just rebuild ITR rods, crank etc with aftermarket cams and do some timing tuning. (Gibberish to me.) I haven't done much research on (internal upgrades) probably why my wrx blew on the 18g. Anyway.

I need personal opinions and guidance here.

Rumors predict jdm engines lasting 35-60k miles, I want my rebuild to be bullet proof and last me the next decade without any oil consumption problems whatsoever. (even though I understand V-tec consumes but I am positive not this much)

I'm probably going to stay within the 2000$ mark parks and labor.

Thank you in advance :)

RT Type-R

"Carpe Diem"
yo whats up bro, imo i say u should rebiuld ur b18c1 cause that way you'll know what parts are new and if u get the spec r u never know how good the internals are gonna be, im was in the same position as u and right now im just getting some feds to overhaul my b18c1 and im gonna be putting some ctr pistons with some eagle rods but i should have it running by next month, but good luck with your decision

doopah

rebuild

Thanks bro, I'm now leaning towards a strong N/a build. hoping to push close to they itr power. My car is completely stock except for a Cai that came with it when I bought it last may. I wouldn't mind building a ITR (poorman) or whatever it's called. I just want it to be Reliable.. being that it is my DD

96GSRteg

Tyler
theres no way in hell you can swap a b18c spec r for under 2k. forget it. You wont even be able to find the motor for that price (and thats if you perform personal favors for the seller).

Just build up your internals on the c1 and you will save a ton of money (as compared to a swap) and if its done right, will set yourself up for a build in the future.

how many miles do you currently have?

doopah

b18

sorry, meant 2 grand as in parts and laborish. not necessary a spec r swap. eek. I just hit 123k, I bought the car in may with 109k for 3800. I guess it's true when they say. It's too good to be true because I thought that was really cheap for a 2000 integra gs-r. Ended up consuming quite a bit of oil, greedy high rev'ing jappy

Rich-PMS

Are you sure your cam seal isnt leaking, or your vtec selonoid, ia your valve cover gasket good, what about the gaskets for sparkplug holes?

123k and burning alot of oil doesn't sound right.... I have 165k and burn a 1qt every 3k miles

IMO, I'd buy another motor, do maintenance to it, and drop it in. You'll have a good bit of down time building your block, and you said it's your daily.

doopah

Rebuild

I haven.t gotten it professionally checked. But looked shen I did my oil change everything is dry. I changrd to 5,40 and even bought extra thick oil lube from walmart. My oil light came on at 2000 miles after oil change. Spot dfy that dip was hmmm. I live in denver. My wrx did the same, im thinking piston rings

phatintegra

Banned
I haven.t gotten it professionally checked. But looked shen I did my oil change everything is dry. I changrd to 5,40 and even bought extra thick oil lube from walmart. My oil light came on at 2000 miles after oil change. Spot dfy that dip was hmmm. I live in denver. My wrx did the same, im thinking piston rings
Sounds like Oil pump took a dump, pick up tube is clogged or oil sending unit went bad. My best bet you prob blew the bearings and maybe scar the clynd wall.

doopah

Im not sure about all that but my.car still drives strong n clean. I hope is an easy fix. What's the easiest route ro making 200 whp without having to upgrade the exhaust. Or is that not possible? Only exhaust.I'd get is an evo2 or maybe something similar to a maddad whisper. Do they make maddad exhaust for.integs? Thanks n sorry, posting from mytouch 4g

doopah

Okay, I did.some research. How does this sound...
B20 block(z?) Not sure
Itr piston replicas
Ctr cams
Gsr head
N tranny
Itr valve train n some bolt ons hmmm