b18a1 head build advice

REDxMAN-_-

i have a b18a1 (5spd) i am going to build the head on in the spring or summer and wanted advice on what all is really needed. i will be doing my shopping at www.realstreetperformance.com. and i would like to keep all my shopping on that webiste.

so far all i know to get is the crower stage 2 cams and the crower springs and retainers.

is there anything else that is a must have? this will be my first actual engine build and i want to do things right. im looking for about 145-160hp. thanks in advance for your help.

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
if you wanna get flat top valves you could as well but its not a necessity...only other thing i can recommend is a good port and polish or a refresh of the head (new valve seals/valve guides etc..)

mirrorimg

How much power do you want to make?

Building an LS is really not the way to make power. An LS/VTEC will net you more power and leave you more room for further upgrades.

The B18B1 and B18A1 heads (P75 and PR4) are very poor performers when it comes to flow. Also, the intake valves are smaller than the VTEC head's valves, which is one of the reasons why it flows much less.

REDxMAN-_-

onestly i hate vtec because everybody loves them lol and i'm looking for 145-160hp so i can keep up or beat my friends 97 teg gs

mirrorimg

Im just saying. The VTEC head has more potential.

It flows better
It can holder more aggressive cams and stay daily driver-status, since you are not in VTEC all of the time and can maintain a reasonable MPG.
Can exceed the power of a non-VTEC and stay daily driveable.
Will have a taller power band, but make less torque overall.

I have a built LS, but its not tuned yet. Check out my build thread. My head is part of the last 5 pages or so.

Crower 403 cams
Crower springs and retainers
Blox cam gears
Skunk2 intake manifold
P8R cylinder head (larger intake valves, non-vtec head)
Slight polishing on intake ports.

Cant tell you how much power it makes because, as I mentioned just a second ago, it hasnt been tuned.

REDxMAN-_-

nice build. i'm going to be getting the first 3 things you listed above. would you recomend the skunk2 manifold? and does it work with the stock throtle body or would i have to get a new one?

REDxMAN-_-

so tell me if this sounds about right.

crower stage 2 cams
blox cam gears
crower springs and retainers
supertech valve seals
ferrea bronze valve guides

would it be o.k to just run that?

i am going to install everything myself..well with some guided help.

mirrorimg

Like I said, its the head casting that will hold you back. 31mm intake ports versus 33mm intake ports. You would need to get the valve guides pressed out and new ones pressed in by a machine shop. I wouldnt do that yourself. You can go with any cam gear you want. I went with Blox because it was in the price range I was comfortable with. The Skunk2 intake manifold will shift the power band up. That means you will have a little more peak power, but lose some low to mid range horsepower. You may want to seek out other manifolds with longer runners.

Im sure you could find some setups on the internet with some dyno sheets of crower 62403 cams. Finding yourself a P8R head will be best for a NA Non-VTEC setup.

My recommendation is still a VTEC head.

REDxMAN-_-

if i had the money i'd just go buy a whole vtec engine and build it up but i dont so i'm just guna work with what i have. i dont really want to take the head off the block, id rather do it all in the engine bay