GSR head JDM ITR Block

vtecvaz

vtecvaz
I just purchased a JDM ITR short Block with new piston rings, and bearings. Pretty much all new and cleaned up.
I will be bolting my GSR head on it.
I also aquired Skunk2 pro series stage 1 cams. I will be saving for the valve train.
I will be sending my head off to a machine shop locally to get all new valvestem seals, hot tanked, and a three angle valve job. I was sold a rebuild kit for the head for 50 bucks all needed seals to finish bolting on the head.

Here is my ?
I can leave the GSR head stock valvetrain and slap and go. I know I will get a code for crank angle sensor, my consern is, will a simple tuning session hold me down till I upgrade to a Hondata?

I will upgrade the cams and valve train later, this is my daily so I need it running.

Also which Hondata will be right for me?, I have a 2001 GSR so Im obdII
First build will be JDM ITR shortblock, stock GSR head and valve train.
DC 4 to 1 header

Second phase will have
Skunk2 Proseries Cams Stage 1
Skunk2 Pro series Valve train
Skunk2 Intake manifold

Last edited:

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Your stock ecu will be fine for now, all that will be different is a little more compression. I suggest running hondata with anything, it's always reliable. Boy skunk 2 really knows how to advertise and sell parts.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I'd go with the s300, I think they make an obd 2 plug and play now for that

vtecvaz

vtecvaz
I seen the s300 in honda tuning mag, its plug and play but crazy loot. I was leaning towards that.

And as for the Skunk2, I love that stuff. Im an old school honda head, so I remeber when they first started out and there still around putting it down.

Later I will get the ITR tranny to get the teggy really moving and better headers. I will keep you guys posted, Im pump for this build.

Last edited:

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
The s300 is only a hundred or so more than the s200 and isn't crazy loot compared to other tuning options, for all it's options it has it's actually a very good deal.

8urcivic

ONLY couches pull out!!!!
s300 is alot easier to tune as well.

vtecvaz

vtecvaz
Gotta start saving. I should have the new block saturday, once its hear I have to pull the motor out my teggy. Then get the head of to a shop to clean and valve job. Once its back slap on the head and install everything back.

While the motor is out Im going to clean the crap out the engine bay, and clean up the tranny, replace any shot motor mounts, delete criuse control, and power steering. Maybe if im feeling frisky with all this down time a wire tuck.

So I want to start the new years off strong and finish up with the cams, valve train, hondata, JDM ITR headers, and the Recaroes. DAM I get scared talking about it LOL. Oh and get it all tuned real nice.