Clutch failure: Cable is Hydraulic or Cable? 1990 LS

REDDA

1990 LS, wont grab gears, been driving on it for almost six months now, in the process of reinstalling the clutch

Thank you and I will periodically check back for help updates and concerns! more pics too!

Last edited:

HRubss

I'm a gearheAd
Lmfao "my clutch just died"

Sent from my iPhone 2g

REDDA

Ok so I was away for a while... partying and such! Anyhoo... got a whole ton of stuff in theory torn out of the engine bay when I realized I had no clue what I was doing!

Could it just have been the master or slave cylinder?

By the way thank you for all the replies!

I called a shop before my drunken stooper stopped hence allowing me to post this. Finally got some gloves so my keyboard won't get all dirty when searching YouTube. The shop said it sounds like the clutch died. Again, I would shift, it'd 'feel like it sent into gear' but then wouldn't engage the gear. The motor just keeps idling or would rev up. So like NO clutch right?!

Anyhow where I'm stuck now since I decided to pull the whole motor and rebuild it is at the clutch cable. Wouldn't I need to remove the cable from the tranny before dropping the whole thing out?

I realized after it was too late that I could just separate the transmission from the block. But like I said a rebuild kit from japanengine.com for 330 bucks didn't sound too bad before I jumped into the project SOOO I think clutch and a rebuild are in order. Hasn't been rebuilt and the block has 262k on it. Head had valve timing done when I bought it but other than that no major repairs.

Alright then shout out to the replier's thank you so much for your help! Thanks zack11122! More upgrades including wire tuck and hopefully a mystical centrifugal someday on the way for this chariot .

REDDA

I'll buy your clutch even the shipping if you help me take apart the transmission and diagnose the problem. Like I was saying, shops and er'one be like it's my clutch. I'm per sure it is. But I need to drop the tranny out first and then when I'm ready to buy a clutch I could buy your clutch. First things first, how the erf do I remove the clutch cable?

REDDA

And once the casing is off are there special sockets I'll need? Something about 12 points?