Been thinking about painting my valve cover

MattLaBonte

I would most def throw ricky my cover if I had the money cash and time. Ricky is not doubt the best out there so I would've gladly sent it to him if I could have. If this causes any problems feel free to delete. Thanks! So guys, I've been thinking about painting my valve cover wrinkle red with a gloss black spark plug cover. I know the process of painting the cover (Clean the valve cover with soap and water, strip with aircraft remover, clean again and sand, then put a coat of lacquer to get the rest of the grease off). I was curious what I should tape off so paint doesn't get on. Would I just put masking tape over the parts and then cut around with a razor blade? Also I was curious what damage could be caused to my engine if any paint got inside those small valves? I also know that after putting around 3 coats of the wrinkle red you should let it sit for about 12 hours. Ill let it sit overnight to cure. I also know that after that you should put it in an oven for 20 mins at 200 F. Or you can use a heat gun or let it sit on the engine to fully cure. Basically I was wondering how you can do an even heat with a heat gun and how long you should go over with the heat gun? Lastly, when putting my valve cover back on is my engine going to run right back how it should or is it gonna have to adjust? Never really knew the purpose of a valve cover other than to protect the internals. Thanks for the help and I would most def throw ricky my cover if I had the money cash and time. Ricky is not doubt the best out there so I would've gladly sent it to him if I could have. If this causes any problems feel free to delete. Thanks!

DB7xsjado

Old Skool
BAN!! LOL

nah man if you wanna do it yourself go for it. it's not that hard to do, just take your time and dont rush it.. make sure you get some high heat sealant to put on the corners when putting it back on. Also a good time to replace the vc gasket if it needs to be replaced. and no, it will not cause your engine to run any differently lol.. good luck!

Last edited:

MattLaBonte

Thats what I was curious about was the sealant. Just a little bit in each corner? Why would I need that? And I will replace the gasket if necessary, how would I know if I need one btw?

Afireinside

Your valve cover will leak oil if you dont use some goo in the corners. If I had the valve cover off I would replace the gasket for sure,it's stupid not to.
Good luck

MattLaBonte

Appreciate this. The valve cover will be done mid september to early october. Decided I'll be baking it in teh oven in wrinkle red.

blaketeg

I <3 Boost
yeah make sure to replace the gasket and spark plug tube seals

only thing you have to tape up is the spark plugs holes and oil cap hole, put a piece of tape over them and cut the excess off. dont bother taping the letters, just use some sandpaper to remove the paint off of them after your done painting it.