GSR water pump different from a B18B water pump?

nexgenintegra

1ac4u2nv
would it actually be benneficial (if it fits) to put a gsr water pump on my gs? and if it fits will it require any other mods, like a different timing belt.

i gotta change my timing belt and water pump and i was just wondering

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Sirfallsalot243 said:
OEM Honda belts and bearings > All
You've obviously never held a Toda timing belt in your hand, lol. There's absolutley no comparison to any OEM or other generic rubber timing belt to a Toda belt.

Sirfallsalot243

TegSox said:
You've obviously never held a Toda timing belt in your hand, lol. There's absolutley no comparison to any OEM or other generic rubber timing belt to a Toda belt.
Then why are they so obscure? The guy who built my motor has a B18C1 on 42psi running mid 8 second 1/4's, and he uses OEM honda timing belts.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
They were mainly put into production by Toda for use with their own camshafts. People were having problems using OEM/generic belts because the non-staggered non-VTEC lobes and steep ramp speed on their cams were snapping those belts. MichaelDelaney on Team-Integra can tell you all about the problems he had using OEM belts with Toda cams (actually he won't tell you now, he'll tell you to SEARCH for the threads, lol) But they can be used on any engine, though they are overkill on any non built engine, especially at $180 a pop. They greatly reduce/eliminate belt flex that occurs at very high RPM's which can throw off timing and rob small amounts of power, not to mention a timing belt being flexed like that repeatedly reduces it's longevity. High RPM timing accuracy (high rpm's in general) isn't really a worry with a boosted engine, though belt flex can be eliminated with the Toda belt, but not a necessity. There can be plenty of reasons your engine builder isn't using a Toda belt. They are good insurance for a moderate/aggressive NA build revving to the moon. A Toda belt saved my engine's life once:

A screw fell down into the timing belt chamber while it's was on the dyno, a rubber belt would have turned to spaghetti.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
nexgenintegra said:
would it actually be beneficial (if it fits) to put a gsr water pump on my gs?
According to www.acuraautomotiveparts.org, the GSR water pump has a different part # from the non-VTEC water pump, so a GSR water pump probably won't fit on a B18B anyway.

PogKai

B20VTEC
The pumps are different. LS has larger fins and GSR/ITR has smaller so it won't cause some kind of 'turbulence' at high RPM's. And IIRC teeth count differs too. Toda belt is great, but I thinks it's overpriced.. it's equivalent of the power enterprise belt.. I have GReddy belt wich is the same, Kevlar made.. it saved my engine!

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
PogKai said:
LS has larger fins and GSR/ITR has smaller so it won't cause some kind of 'turbulence' at high RPM's.
Right on the money. The larger fins create more turbulence at higher RPM's which can cause inertial water cavitation. That causes bubbles and air pockets in the system which will reduce flow and potential disaster