Hello and HALP!!!!!!

Jhamm3113

Hey all, new to the site, sorry to be starting a new thread, did numerous searches for what I needed but I'm in a time crunch and worrying I'm hurting baby and not finding the specific answers I need (try not to flame me too hard y'all, thought the newbie thread would be a safe one). Ok so basic run down, bought a way overpriced integra from a very... questionable gentleman in Kc, Ks. It's been riced out and rigged up. I'm a novice tech myself (mainly oil changes and light tech work for a few years with some school thrown in the mix) so I understand the basics but still ask the stupid questions because I'd rather get flamed for asking the obvious than kill my baby because of my pride. So my main issue now is the valve cover, plugs, wires and timing belt were "all just done like not too long ago man, like six months, and it don't even drip a drop of oil"....
well after replacing the thermostat (rated to open at a waaaaay higher temp than normal op. conditions), and burying the oil pan and downpipe into one of Independence's finest sinkholes, I've had oil from EVERYWHERE. So story and justification aside here's what I need to know.

1. Any valve cover kits (brands, types, etc.) to stay away from or absolutely go with) #2 spark plug is flooded with oil and what smells like gas.
2. Advice on removing and replacing the crank pulley and seal correctly on an ls without causing excess damage or putting myself in a f***ed up situation with no car to drive.
3. Step by steps on replacing timing belt, tensioner, water pump and cam seals so I can feel comfortable knocking it out in a decent time in my Toyota dealership without having people up my ass.
4. Recommendations on timing kits and correct timing since it is an interference motor.

Again, sorry for the overload of info and starting a new thread, just tired of digging and not finding exactly what I need to get the job done.. any quick responses would be appreciated because she's marking her territory everywhere she parks and taking about a qt of oil every 2 weeks.... it's bad and I paid a pretty penny. wanna make her last. thanks in advance and again try not to flame me too hard, just looking for good advice.

uso_Dc

Fel pro makes an ok gasket set. Honestly though with the dealer job you have and the best parts available would be the Honda gaskets from Honda, timing belt kit and all. If the oil smells like gas then you have a problem internally. May as well add Pcv to that list and to get the fluid out of the hole, you can either use a mightyvac or just take out the plug and let the fluid drop into the cylinder and let it burn off.

For the timing belt job, just youtube it. When you have the belt and crank pulley off, make sure you don't put the little washers that hold the belt in place backwards, ive seen them eat up belts before.... For the crank seal all you need to do is use a pic, but just be careful not to score the area the seal sits in. I like to use a thin layer of hondabond around the outer edge of the seal to give a little reassurance. Pop the new one in and install everything the same way you took it off.

One last thing, if you are uncomfortable doing the timing belt and other components, I personally highly suggest paying the extra money to have someone do it, like you said its an interference motor and if you put it on wrong you could damage valves and other stuff too.... Good luck and we are all here to help. You are more than welcome to pm for more ?'s

osiris19

Gates makes a nice timing belt kit. Don't go cheap on this.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk
This. Its less than $130 for the whole Gates racing timing belt kit. Part number TCKWP184. Their belts are amazing. Also, I'd go OEM Honda for anything gasket related, but that is just me. I've used felpro valve cover gaskets before and had no issues, but Honda is only like a doller or two cheaper.

To replace timing belt, water pump, and tensioner:
1. Remove valve cover and wheel well splash shield
2. Position engine at TDC
3. Remove power steering belt, AC belt, and alternator belt
4. Remove upper driver side engine mount
5. Remove crankkshaft pulley bolt and pulley
6. Remove timing covers
7. Loosen tensioner bolt 180 degrees
8. Push tensioner, tighten bolt and remove belt
9. Replace water pump and tensioner
10. Position crankshaft pulley before installing belt
11. Position crankshaft pulley so the groove matches with the line on the oil pump ring
12. I install belt tightly in sequence: 1) crank drive pulley 2) adjusting pulley 3) water pump pulley 4) exhaust cam pulley 5) intake cam pulley
13. Loosen and retighten the adjusting bolt to tighten the belt
14. Turn the crank 4-6 revolutions to set the belt
15. Adjust tension and tighten
If at tdc, reverse of removal to reinstall

Last edited:

uso_Dc

Ive recently used a gates racing belt and i back up the fact that they are amazing. I will use them 100% of the time from now on.