The 276 HP Honda Civic Type R Will Be The Most Extreme Honda Ever Made

Excitable Kid

The new Honda Civic Type R ditches crazy VTEC revs for 280 turbocharged horsepower, a redline at 7,000 rpm and enough torque to keep you ahead on the track. It's a pretty wild kit.
The Honda Civic Type R Is The Little Hot Hatch Monster To Yearn For

And looking like this, ladies and gentlemen, is what convicted felon and famous Honda Civic Type R

Honda says their 2.0-liter i-VTEC engine produces "more than 280PS", which is about 276 horsepower, if not more when it goes to production. (We all know it will be more like 505 horsepower when you factor in VTEC.)

They also claim that this turbo four exceeds all previous Type R cars including the Civic, Integra, Accord and NSX in terms of torque and response. I don't see how the latter is possible with a turbo going against rev-happy naturally aspirated engines, but we'll know next year when the Civic hits the European showrooms (and tracks).

To justify the red "H" badge, a new '+R' button will debut in the Civic. Located on the steering wheel, it changes the torque-mapping, steering response and the new four-point adaptive dampers.

The 276 HP Honda Civic Type R Will Be The Most Extreme Honda Ever Made.

Of course it comes with a six-speed manual! Suehiro Hasshi, Large Project Leader for the Civic Type R at Honda R&D had this to say about that:

"The manual transmission allows the driver to select their chosen gear, for example, down from fifth to third when approaching a corner. The concept of the new Civic Type R is to be the complete driver's car so this was the best option."

Damn right it was. Let's just hope that those taillights make it into production too!

http://jalopnik.com/the-276-hp-honda-civic-type-r-will-be-the-most-extreme-1640256870?rev=1411998813640

Last edited:

Ryan659

The rear end looks a little bit prius-y but other than that, I like it.

Different color of course with none of that funky extra lines and crap

osiris19

It looks pretty cool to be completely honest. I'm just all for these new GDI turbo engines.

ArmyIntegra

Registered Teg Driver
That looks dope. I'm going to buy it when I launch my air delivery pizza business. It's totally going to work you guys. But seriously, what's the price tag on one of these?

Sent from my iPhone 10 using Tapatalk

renarudo

I kinda like it. On paper it sounds like alot of hype, I mean if it actually can out handle an NSX stock. I can do without the wing; rather have a lip spoiler for my taste. Still sounds nice.

Teggy64

Got vtec?
Looks amazing, too bad it likely won't make it to the united states. If we're lucky maybe for 2016. As for price I'd guess it'll be high 20's or low to mid 30's. If Honda was smart I'd put a base price of around 25k to compete with the wrx and gti.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
I am sick of hearing about this thing and Im doubtful it will live up to the R name. While I am happy Honda is finally serious about turbocharging I believe this car will likely be over weight and over priced for its performance level. If you look at the current Civic Si and *gasp* Mugen edition as examples you see a trend in weight gain and escalating price over the years. And 280hp is a lot for FWD to handle. While I am sure it will have a LSD as previous Rs, Im afraid it will be imbalanced. It has to compete with the Evo X and WRX STi which are at similar price points and power level, but both have all wheel drive.

Just my opinion. I hope that Im wrong and its awesome.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I'd say it'd be competing more with that Mazdaspeed 3 and Focus ST. Either way it won't be far ahead, if ahead at all of the competitors, to justify what will be an obnoxious price.
I kinda like the front and profile but the rear concept is .

Nick_C78

A car company would dare hype a car and charge more for it by giving it a sporty name, but not have it worth the money?