Advice: Fix my GS-R or sell as is?

Acura2Mazda

Hello all,
I have a dilemma and am hoping you all can help me out. I have a '98 GS-R with (only) about 118k miles. It's been a good car but I finally pulled the trigger and purchased a new(er) car. I've decided NOT to trade it in and will instead sell privately. I would like to get the most $ for it as possible. However, there are a number of things wrong with it and am wondering, what, if any, items I should fix before selling.

Cosmetically, the car has a few smallish hail dents on the hood and some rust/bubbling occurring in a couple areas at the rear as well. It runs well but has an oil leak, the a/c doesn't work (I won't fix this, I think there is a leak there too), passenger side door broke off years back (but still opens), one tire doesn't match, and a few other things I could go on about. I had it re-pained a number of years ago and it has held up well. It's bright red and with a good washing/polishing can be a head-turner.

Is it best to repair the small things or is that not worth it? What about the dents and rust? From what I read, looks are everything but I also know repairing those will be several hundred dollars. I also understand the door handle is labor-intensive to replace but I'm scared it will turn buyers off if left as is. I just don't know enough about ROI to know where to start and end. I plan to do the full detailing/washing/cleaning before selling but wondering what else should be done to make it sale-ready.

Any suggestions, thoughts, or questions? Please advise!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
a nice and clean gsr can fetch 4500+ in the right areas. The door handle is easy, just rekeying it might be work if you dont have someone to do it for you. the door handle is 2 bolts and you thats pretty much it.

Acura2Mazda

Thanks for the reply about the handle. I forgot to mention one big thing too: the CEL is on and sometimes it even flashes, yikes.

I should also note that when I took the car in to the shop last yr, a couple of the guys were practically salivating over it. They were impressed with the overall condition and low mileage. One guy said he'd make me an offer when I was ready to sell. Well, he didn't responded when I called. However, that proves there is demand. Would be great to find an enthusiast who enjoys tinkering and sell to him. Those guys are the ones that see the value in the GSR and can repair for cheap. So the question remains, what issues should be addressed prior to selling? Anything? Obviously, I'm not going to invest $1k+ if I can't get that money back. Will all the "problems" scare buyers off?

Besides the items mentioned before, there is also a scratch on windshield, left front blinker is out, one of the folding seat knobs came off and it won't fold down now. I'm a woman with absolutely no mechanic skills and have to hire out for repairs. I've used mobile mechanics and their hourly rate here is around $40-50/hr. I'm in Madison, WI.

If someone out there is willing to provide specific, thorough insight I'd be so grateful.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
if i were to look at the car, i wouldnt spend over 2k. If it was in perfect running order i would consider purchasing it for between 3-4500 depending on overall condition.

Also flashing cel = cat.

Petramer

I would advice you not to protract with repairings while using a car. It's easier and cheaper to restore the car one by one than everything at once. You need to take care of it, if you want it to serve you longer without problems or if you want to get more money from sale.

Could you attach some photos?

Peter