How to tell if motor mounts are bad?

Ganyon

As the title states. How can I tell if my motor mounts are bad? I have heard that bad motor mounts can cause the trans to jerk really bad when shifting gears. I'd like to just check them all out, considering they're 12 years old.

DarkAngelGSR

*JDM Approved*
Another way is to physically look at the mounts and look for excessive tearing and dry rotting.

Integraguy04

CORNER CARVER
also, drive your car, get on the gas a little bit and then let off and watch the shifter...if the shifter moves a decent amount then the mounts are bad

Ganyon

I can't watch the shifter move because it's an autotragic. Also, where exactly are all the mounts?

Ganyon

Idk. When it shifts it feels like it slams into gear. We've changed the trans fluid 3 times in not even 2k miles, so I think it's something else.

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
Almost sounds more like a Trans issue, but first check the motor mount on the drivers side by the timing cover. It's viewable with everything in. If its worn it has a lot of play that might cause it

mjones73

Check the torque mounts, can't miss them, both are bolted to the sub frame before the wheels. The drivers side hooks to the bracket holding the AC compressor on, the passenger side is on a bracket bolted to the front of the trans.

Ganyon

Almost sounds more like a Trans issue, but first check the motor mount on the drivers side by the timing cover. It's viewable with everything in. If its worn it has a lot of play that might cause it
I tried shaking the motor. It wouldn't move. I couldn't really see the mount on the driver side because there's bad lighting in the garage, but when I was feeling it a rubber piece was moving around. Idk what it was.