Main Relay "Type" Problems

Prozon

Kris
Okay guys i'm having an issue here. Intermittent no-starting.

The past few weeks my car has been having an issue starting. When I first got in, on first attempt to start it wouldn't start. It wouldn't matter if I cranked it for five seconds or fifty- but as soon as I turned the key off and back on it would start.

So the other day I stopped at the part store to get some stuff for my Jeep, I went outside and tried to leave- and it wouldn't start. I assumed it was just acting up again, so I gave it a few minutes to cool off and it started right up. I made it a few miles down the road and it died again, I pushed it off into some shade and sat around for awhile. I immediately suspected the main relay. I tried removing it, but alas I had no philip's head screwdriver to remove the stupid plastic panel.

After a couple hours I obtained a screwdriver, I took the panel off and removed the main relay. I inspected the solder joints expecting to see one or two of them faulty, but they all looked good aside from a little smudge of what "seemed" to be corrosion. I reinstalled the relay and the car started fine. I then drove it straight home and parked it in my shop. I decided it would be best to touch up the solder joints anyways. I removed the relay again and began touching up the solder joints. After I was done I expected to start the car up flawlessly.

This was not the case. To make absolutely sure the main relay was not to blame- I did the little check of testing to make sure it clicks all three times.

So I figured, it's not the main relay. It must be my fuel pump. But how could that be? I installed a brand new Walbro255 less then 1,000 miles ago. I find it very hard to believe that it could have problems already..
However I went out about a half hour ago. (8am, cold morning.) And it started right up. The car started and runs fine. That makes me think it couldn't be the fuel pump.

Usually when I see fuel pumps not powering up, it's either the pump is good or bad, not "kind of" bad. I have never EVER seen an intermittent on-off situation with a fuel pump, especially a brand new one such as mine. This all screams main-relay to me, but for a $60 relay, I don't want to just replace it when as far as I know mine is perfectly good.

Just to clarify- my no-start issue IS fuel related, I don't need tips on how to check spark, or any of that. I also want to add i'm going out of town now, and won't be back until Sunday afternoon- I'll try to check up from the iPhone from time to time, not sure of my cell reception though.

Any idea's?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Prozon

Kris
It would seem that everyone's thoughts are in the same location. I will check it when I get back to my car.

Thanks for the input Dylan.

Prozon

Kris
It would seem that everyone's thoughts are in the same location. I will check it when I get back to my car.

Thanks for the input Dylan.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
well you need to be at the pump to see if its getting power and suppling fuel pressure. is the pump loosing power

Prozon

Kris
I'll look into the ACG fuse, not sure "exactly." what it is, but I think I can find it.
I just got home from camping at the beach.

350 miles of driving, without the Teg... man that sucked.. full throttle couldn't break the tires free. Can you frickin' believe that?? I'll take my Teg over an '01 Honda Civic any day lol.

Leaving again soon, celebrating bud's birthday- so I might not get to the car tonight. I'll update asap though.

Prozon

Kris
Eh hem.
What?? Lol.

I'm waiting for the car to crap out again, so I can test my theories. It just sucks I am more then likely going to be stranded to try this out lol.

I think it's a good possibility the ACG fuse is the issue, after reading up on it.

Prozon

Kris
5:35am.
Got it started. Little sketchy.

I am really effin' confused about all of this ACG stuff. I have read it mimics the main relay failure symptoms- so, any idea how to fix it? Lol.

Jvest

*GET SHOOK*
I hope u get this figured out because my da does this exact thing and it drives me absolutely insane