B16 Engine problem

'92B16

'92 Teg
Hey, I have a 1992 Integra with a B16 swap. The problem im having is after 6,000 rpm's it has a flutter. What i mean is that from 0-6,000 rpm's its fine, it runs great, but from 6,000 to 8,000 it sounds like its winding out, or like it has a flutter. Anyone have any idea what it could be?

'92B16

'92 Teg
No, Its not kicking in, and I dont know if its suppose to kick in at 6,000 and thats were the problem lies or what. It almost sounds like its kinda redlining but it keeps goin all the way to 8,000. I dont know if it makes a difference or not but it has a japanese b16 chip too.

Last edited:

mirrorimg

No, Its not kicking in, and I dont know if its suppose to kick in at 6,000 and thats were the problem lies or what. It almost sounds like its kinda redlining but it keeps goin all the way to 8,000. I dont know if it makes a difference or not but it has a japanese b16 chip too.
Sounds like vtec to me? I think it engages at 5800, but dont quote me on that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en-GB&v=GfToIocVpyQ

Sound like this?

'92B16

'92 Teg
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=830163

Here ya go. This is a list of reasons why vtec will not engage.
Wow, Thanks alot man. Thats exactly what i was looking for, but i also have another question, ive read in all your answers that it has to have a working speedo, the cable on my speedo seems to be going out because the needle is shaky whenever acceleration. Could that be the cause? and is the vtec not working cause that kind of fluttering noise?

Last edited:

Mattzda9

where did you get the chip from? Problem probably lies in the chip. Do you know anyone with a stock ecu you could try?

'92B16

'92 Teg
Went to my mechanics house last night, he has a 1990 Teg. We put his chip in it, which is a 600$ custom chip, and still. Found out its either my Fuel pressure regulator because of an aftermarket pump, my oil pressure, or my spark, or my compression. Ill let you all know monday. Thanks alot for all the help everyone.

Mattzda9

A chip isnt gonna do anything good if its not programmed for what you have done to YOUR car. I say you should find a stock non chipped ecu and see if it does the same thing with it.

A chip isnt gonna do anything good if its not programmed for what you have done to YOUR car. I say you should find a stock non chipped ecu and see if it does the same thing with it.
Agreed. A chip is worthless unless it has map on it that is written for your particular car. Ebay and other performance chips are usually pieces of shit.