Starting issues when cold

battlemoose09

Keep calm teg on
My bud has an 88 civic hatch and it's having issues starting when it's cold outside. When it's warm out it starts just fine and runs like a champ. I know there's threads for 2nd and 3rd gen tegs but this would fall under 1st gen. Does any body have any idea what could cause this?

enoch723

Old battery most likely

I believe the civics have IACV. Dont know though. Check the air conrol valves though

Last edited:

oldkayaker

I'm new to this forum and the Integra society so please excuse any improprieties I may unintentionally commit.
First define the problem and the conditions. "Starting issues" is vague description to me. When cold, does the starter turn the engine over at sufficient speed, but there is an apparent lack of spark or fuel prevent starting? Or does the starter barely turn over the engine when cold? How old is the battery? Has the level of electrolyte been checked? Have you tried a remote starter? What's the voltage at the starter?

A curmudgeonly mechanic summed it up: "It all boils down to a leakage or blockage of fluids or electrons."

If the starter is turning the engine over slowly, the battery is suspect. But bad grounds or corroded wiring can increase the resistance and reduce the voltage delivered to the starter. The combination of cold reducing the output of the battery and the increased resistance may be sufficient to create the "starting issues."

The_818_Boi

Keep It JDM Bruhh!
Probably Battery Bro But If The Battery Isnt 2 Old It Just Might Need A Recharge, Wal Mart Recharges Your Batter 4 Free...Had The Same Problem 3 Days Ago On My 91 Tegg.

87Teg

D16A1 bone stock
Check the acid/water level in the battery. Charge it for a few hours. After the single digit temps at night over here in PA it started to drain power from my battery. Yesterday is the first time since I owned the car that it failed to start and I know its just because of the cold. After cranking a few times the car started so I know I just need to charge the battery. Try charging the battery if that doesnt work replace it.

xZachTheRipper8

i had a problem with mine not wanting to start in them mornings either come to find out the guy i bought it from had the wrong spark plugs in it, so if you try the battery and that doesnt help maybe check your plugs and wires