CAI Added

JordanB21

I cant stand the dumb intake noise, it sucks
anyone know a good solution for this? Because oh my fucking god is it unbearable and loud as shit when I drive. At first it was pleasant and cool, but for a daily driver you really just want to hear your music or the wind or a train horn or anything that isn't the engine.

JordanB21

Lol, wow. I take doesn't make much noise unless you're full throttle.
Yeahl apparently from my googling results I happen to have one of the loudest kinds.
It's just an aem neck with a 2'' K&N air filter.
I can hear it plenty while driving on the highway at 2.5krpms and up.

I'm probably just going to swap back to a stock intake housing.

Here's a link of the difference someone else made
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sBIdDojEPI

In the video, he sure isn't at full throttle and at the end it's loud as shit in his interior. I have a test pipe with an RS axleback and it isn't even as loud as the intake is.
Defiantly something I'm not use to, lol.

Last edited:

Ryan659

If you don't like the sound of an intake, don't buy a header and exhaust. They are even louder

SoundEfx

Honestly, you compared two different intakes.
The video showed a sri, not a cai, and those are MUCH louder.

So if you can't stand the sound of a quieter cai, do what Ryan is saying and stay stock.

JordanB21

Honestly, you compared two different intakes.
The video showed a sri, not a cai, and those are MUCH louder.

So if you can't stand the sound of a quieter cai, do what Ryan is saying and stay stock.

CAI I think is a pretty applicable term for a SRI, but anyways, to be specific, I do have a SRI on my car.

and yeah, I'm going to just pick up a stock intake housing and swap between the two as necessary.

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
CAI I think is a pretty applicable term for a SRI, but anyways, to be specific, I do have a SRI on my car.

and yeah, I'm going to just pick up a stock intake housing and swap between the two as necessary.
If im reading this correctly...
SRI = Short Ram Intake. The filter is inside the engine bay. Its like the oem filter without the box
CAI = Cold Air Intake. The filter sits in the front bumper. It gets direct air from outside. They say, cooler air brings more hp. Compared to the SRI, which the air is warmer due to the engine heat

If i read it wrong, then the OP knows the difference

JordanB21

If im reading this correctly...
SRI = Short Ram Intake. The filter is inside the engine bay. Its like the oem filter without the box
CAI = Cold Air Intake. The filter sits in the front bumper. It gets direct air from outside. They say, cooler air brings more hp. Compared to the SRI, which the air is warmer due to the engine heat

If i read it wrong, then the OP knows the difference
pretty much yeah.
The OP's new intake is essentially a CAI since it goes down and further away from the hotter parts of the engine. Some feed into the fender (not on our cars) to draw air from outside the bay and some have heatshields and are considered CAI.

Like this is a CAI even though it looks like a SRI, but an intake is an intake. More of the reason why I say CAI is pretty applicable for an SRI.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/mac-cold-air-intake-9698gt.html

Personally I don't think you'll see anything worth mentioning between the two different types of intakes as far as performance. I could see the preference the CAI that the OP has since it could be quieter and looks cleaner that a SRI but if you're lowered and it rains a lot then a SRI might be better to avoid chancing hydro locking your engine.

Murphy

Meat Master
Definitely go with a cai, get that filter out of the engine bay. Put on a dryflow cover and seal it on with silicon and you're all set.

Cold air is more oxygen dense, more oxygen means a more intense and efficient combustion. It's 110*+ inside the engine bay at least, if it's 70* outside that's a 40* difference in air temp.

Flowing cool air on a filter that's sitting inside a hot engine bay doesn't do shit, the filter itself needs to be in a cool environment.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
Very general form is about 1% of power for every ten degrees.
Engine bay temperatures will vary greatly depending on driving conditions like traffic etc. Engine mods will also have an impact on engine bay temperature. See here for some temp tests done with an icebox intake.