B20B vs B18B

BcuzImAsian

alright, so i heard that the CRV motor is the same like the LS motor other then the CRV having the bore at 84mm. How does the B20 have so much torque? i want to do a B20 swap but its illegal. . . :cry: so i was thinking about doing a LS swap and bore it to 84mm too and still be legit so i can have less worries, but how do i get that same torque that the B20 provides?

if im missing any other differences between the motors please correct me and educate this nublet :D

Last edited:

g3teg97

Super Moderator
If you go with the B20, you won't be able to rev as high as if you have a LS and VTEC head. There's valve hitting issues, I believe.

BcuzImAsian

well if i go with the LS i wouldnt go VTEC cuzz it wouldnt pass smog =[ i hate california laws! i want a B20 because they are torqey!

IntegrasAreBest

Honda / Acura Fanatic
go with ls. ls has very good daily driving power and lots of turbo potential.

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
LS motor is ALOT more stirdy that the weak block on the b20, more peace of mind, takes alot more abuse

BcuzImAsian

im from south sac, live on stockton blvd near sam's club =]

but does anyone kno why the CRV motors is more torqey? is it because of the bore size increase? or whaaaat? im comfused

jlopez

I'm from salt lake city, Utah and luckily we don't have to deal so much with those kinds of laws pertaining to engines, but i got a b20b (jdm-not usdm) because i don't have a number after the'b', with a vtec head which i believe came off the car, but my real question since were talking bout the b 20 will all the wiring be the same for the swap, and how can i tell whether the block is original?, because i bought the car like this not much bout Hondas

rcj

For a b20 swap. All the wiring is the same. Sensors are the same. But you will have to bypass the knock sensor (98 b20b and above) I had to splice the crank angle sensor into the cam angle sensor as well. I have it still running from my p75 ecu from a earlier 96' b18 swap. To answer your initial question on why it has more torque is solely cuz of displacement. Not to say you can't have a b18 with a 2.0 stroker kit. Now to fully do the swap you're gonna need your old driver side top mount. Alternator mount. Intake manny. Dizzy (matching ecu for no misfires obd0,1,2, etc) headers if you have any aftermarket and crank pulley. It's a real easy swap. And once times and all engine codes out the way (non in my case) you good to go

MiketheDyke

My job is clean toilets
alright, so i heard that the CRV motor is the same like the LS motor other then the CRV having the bore at 84mm. How does the B20 have so much torque? i want to do a B20 swap but its illegal. . . :cry: so i was thinking about doing a LS swap and bore it to 84mm too and still be legit so i can have less worries, but how do i get that same torque that the B20 provides?

if im missing any other differences between the motors please correct me and educate this nublet :D
I like your avatar lmao