Assy's S2000

94RS

No fucks given.
I'd give him more shit for using Rain-X car wash than driving on steelies in winter...

Gbaby2089

Negative Ned
Car soap's job is to lower the friction coefficient of a sponge/mitt/etc., over the paint as it/water removes the dirt. Cheap car soap is less 'slick' so it increases the likelihood of introducing scratches/swirls in the process of washing.

And AP1 in salt/snow is dumb.

JustinMcGee1

I like Hondas
Car soap's job is to lower the friction coefficient of a sponge/mitt/etc., over the paint as it/water removes the dirt. Cheap car soap is less 'slick' so it increases the likelihood of introducing scratches/swirls in the process of washing.

And AP1 in salt/snow is dumb.

That is not how soap works, it is not strictly a lubricant as you describe.

Why? I live in Kansas, it snows maybe 3 times in the winter.

Last edited:

R13

The other asshole
You mean I can't dump a gallon of motor oil on my car and it do the same thing? :lol:

JustinMcGee1

I like Hondas
You mean I can't dump a gallon of motor oil on my car and it do the same thing? :lol:
Shockingly no, while it is partially true what he said, about lowering the "friction coefficient" soap molecules consist basically of an charged head and a hydrocarbon tail making them hydrophobic and hydrophilic. So the polar part will interact with the water while the hydrocarbon tail will interact with the dirt and with will basically surround the dirt molecule forming a sphere. This is what I mean by lift the dirt off the car.

On a side note, my background is mostly in biology, so if that explanation is a bit crude, that is why.

JustinMcGee1

I like Hondas
Went for a drive today and took the hardtop off. The snow tires sure didn't help grip but nevertheless it was great to really get out and drive it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JustinMcGee1

I like Hondas
The delightful steelies are experiencing their last days. AP1 wheels back on this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

R13

The other asshole
It bothers me that no one paints their calipers anymore...

A silver/black caliper looks a lot better than a dirty old bare metal one.