b18b1 daily driver + turbo

nocturnalsst

I have a b18b1 5speed with 156k miles that I use as my gas saver to get to/from work 70 mile round trip every day.
With those miles with a turbo how would the b18 hold up? This car needs to stay reliable but i'd like to get more out of it.

I'm willing to drop $1000 into it since it isnt my main joy, but i would like a faster DD. How would you spend the grand?

nocturnalsst

Also I have a greddy turbo laying around I dont know if it has any problems but if there is a way to confirm that it is good then there is big chunk off the price

the4doorway

for dd imo i say go full exhaust and get a itr intake manifold with a cold air intake then replace shifter bushings and lower it oh and dont forget tune! thats what im doing to mine im halfway there!

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
for dd imo i say go full exhaust and get a itr intake manifold with a cold air intake then replace shifter bushings and lower it oh and dont forget tune! thats what im doing to mine im halfway there!
you dont need a tune for an inteakem header and exhaust. and on a B1 the ITR intake manifold wont fit.

I would just get a header intake and exhaust and make it comfortable for you

nocturnalsst

That is pretty much what I was wanting to know, if it would stay reliable on boost. it already has an intake, and soon as the weather warms up it is in dire need of exhaust work (it comes out of 3 places)

mjones73

you can boost a motor with that many miles if it had a compression test and leak down
True, that's just testing the rings and valves though, it doesn't give you the conditions of the rod and crank bearings. How much life are you going to get out of a motor with that much mileage if you add the stress of boosting it and would you want to be dependent on it being your 70 miles a day daily driver?

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
a $1000 budget isnt even plausible for the turbo anyways. But if i turboed my car i would depend on it to drive that much. But i would never run a turbo.