sub and amp hook up to stock radio

iDrive a GS-R

i just got an 01 gsr and it came with subs and an amp in the back, all the wires and everything r running through the carpet and i was wondering if i could hook it up to the stock head unit because i dont kno if the guy before me put the stock head unit back in or not. so is it possible to hook it up to the stock head unit or is there another way without getting a new head unit

Joshmmc

There are threeways to hook an Amp to a head unit.

One option is to use "pre-outs" which are common on aftermarket decks, and unnexistant on OEM stereos. They are RCA females coming from the deck. Some aftermarket decks even have multiple sets for multiple amps. All amps have the RCA inputs from "pre-outs" and this is the most common method by far.

The alternative option for decks without pre-outs is to use the "high-input" plugs on your amp, if it has them. Only some amps have a "high-input" option, but if yours does, you can simply run a speaker channel or two into the amplifier that way. This of course sacrificies two of your speakers though.

One more thing you can do if neither of those options are available is to purchase a "line level converter" which will convert your rear speaker channels into RCA's to use as a substitute for pre-amps. Again, you lose two speaker channels and have to pay a bit of money, but it's an option if your amp doesn't have high-inputs.

I'd recommend picking up a cheap aftermarket deck. You can get them for under $100, and that way you also get other killer features that stock decks lack such as an Auxiliary or USB input.

Last edited:

Robby99LS

Like Joshmmc said picking up a cheap aftermarket deck would be the best option sound wise and in terms of hooking it up, and you can get decent decks for 80-100 bucks (with pre-outs if nothing else). Keeping the factory head unit the line level converter is the best method. I have a friend that has done that with 2 different cars and it sounded alright. The converter box is cheap too.

iDrive a GS-R

wow i didnt think head units were that cheap... so i spent 30 buck for no reason on a fm transmitter for my ipod when the head units got a aux port dammit :(

iDrive a GS-R

well it turns out that only my two rear speakers r connected so would that mean that they RCA? if so do i just connect those speakers to the amp and hook up the sub?

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
well it turns out that only my two rear speakers r connected so would that mean that they RCA? if so do i just connect those speakers to the amp and hook up the sub?
Is RCA a verb now?

You can't hook up speaker wires to an amp unless it has high level inputs, as previously stated. An amp that has high level inputs is a questionable amp already... and I wouldn't connect it this way anyway.

Again, your options are line out converter, or an aftermarket deck that has RCA outputs (sub out or ). For the remote turn on wire, you can connect that to accessory power of your deck or to the aftermarket decks remote turn on output. DO NOT connect it to the power antenna output.

Front speakers are critical to sound quality. Rear speakers are not even necessary. I hate rear speakers. I much prefer to have front components and a sub. Sound quality is much better that way.

billcass

One more thing you can do if neither of those options are available is to purchase a "line level converter" which will convert your rear speaker channels into RCA's to use as a substitute for pre-amps. Again, you lose two speaker channels and have to pay a bit of money, but it's an option if your amp doesn't have high-inputs.

actually you dont always have to lose two speakers. you wire it into the rear speakers and the line out converter takes the low frequencies out and adding RCA's

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
actually you dont always have to lose two speakers. you wire it into the rear speakers and the line out converter takes the low frequencies out and adding RCA's
Nah he doesn't mean you lose your rear speakers. He said you lose two channels. It doesn't matter when it's for a sub, but if you do this for a 4 channel amp it sucks because you have to choose either fade or L/R adjustment. You can't have both.

Aftermarket deck with 3 pre outs is a million times better. Factory decks only put out about 5-7 watts.

iDrive a GS-R

k so i started to take out the head unit to see if it had any sort of adapter and i found a 2 channel speaker level to rca adapter thingy, is that a line level converter?

iDrive a GS-R

yea i think it is, its a box with wires running into it but now i hooked up the subs and amp but there is no power getting to the amp. y doesnt it get power is it a blown fuse?

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
Do you have a remote turn on wire?

For a temporary amp test, you can connect the remote turn on to the amp's power wire.

Test the remote wire and the power wire for 12 volts with a multimeter. Also check the resistance from your ground back to the battery ground.