b20b

paoloDa92

Well today, my car started running funny and would idle below 100 when i step on the clutch, so i thought oh maybe some vaccum lines or something, so i drop it home. then i started it again to check if it would idle low again, (waited for about 20 minutes before starting it again) it didnt till about 3 minutes in, it would idle super low then white smoke would come out of the exhaust. (head gasket?) so i called my mechanic he looked at it and he said, cylinder head and head gaskets is the problem.

So i think if im gonna spend all the money with fixing those things im just gonna get a b20b and swap it in my car.

Good idea? i have obd1 and i know i can use most of my parts with the swap from the a1.

any thing i should keep in mind before swapping? or any comments and suggestion?

JDMb20DC2

Aren't the a1 and b1 the same?

If so than you just need a long block, you can use everything from the LS on the b20 and since b20 is OBD2 you just need to convert it to odb2-odb1 which isnt hard. i vote go b20..in a DA it'll move with a stock b20 and depending if u get b20b or z

if your big on racing my b20b runs pretty good with stock GSRs and walks stock LS tegs and bolt on LS tegs and walks all over ep3s (k20) and few other cars... so i vote B20

Rich-PMS

Head gasket is 20 bucks
coolant is 15

b20 is 600, timing belt/water pump-? Replacing all seals/gaskets while motor is out...

Doesn't seem cost effective IMO. And swapping a motor with UNKNOWN miles in your car without replacing gaskets/seals, timing belt, and water pump is a pretty stupid thing to do.

My buddy just replaced his bead gasket, cost him 28$ and 4 hours.

paoloDa92

i know theres alot of diy out there for changing your headgaskets and such but i have no clue on how to do it? and my mechaninc is charging me 700 bucks for it, so might as well get a new motor for 600 change the timing belt and water pump and all that stuff then swap it in.

JDMb20DC2

i know theres alot of diy out there for changing your headgaskets and such but i have no clue on how to do it? and my mechaninc is charging me 700 bucks for it, so might as well get a new motor for 600 change the timing belt and water pump and all that stuff then swap it in.
Thats understandable, even if you read the DIY you dont wanna risk anything and waste $700. B20 is better anyways so its a better motor for 600.

Rich-PMS

Your mechanic is charging 700 for a head gasket?
Wow!

You should read a DIY, and give it a shot. It's pretty straight forward.

How much is he going to charge to put the b20 in, and to do maintenance on it?

paoloDa92

Your mechanic is charging 700 for a head gasket?
Wow!

You should read a DIY, and give it a shot. It's pretty straight forward.

How much is he going to charge to put the b20 in, and to do maintenance on it?
No no no. Lol he told me I have to get the head checked and all that shit. Thats why it's summing up to 700-800 bucks. Cause for the head machine shop. And his changing the water pump and timing
Belt for on my a1. All for 700 bucks.

Once again I dont wanna just waste my motor and fuck it up cause I tried doing it on my own. Its my dd and I can only have it down for a week. I have a job and school.

Rich-PMS

IMO 700 for all that isn't a bad deal.

If you buy a b20 and then do maintence you'll be in over 1200$ after you pay mechanic to install.

It's almost double the price- I just don't see how it's cost effective.