replacing oil pan gasket

valentin530

I'm wondering what is it that I need to remove in order to replace the oil pan gasket..is it possible that if I don't do it right it will start leaking again..any suggestions..btw is a 96 teggy gsr..

treeafodo

Austin
Drain your oil, remove the oil pan by taking out the bolts. They have 10mm heads I think. Remove the old gasket and put your new one on making sure it is seated properly. Replace bolts, and slowly tigthen each bolt evenly. I'd reccomend using a torque guage, its not fun if you strip them

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
You'll most likely need to unbolt your header/exhaust manifold, then unbolt the bolts around the oil pan, pull it off, clean off the lip where you lay the gasket, then replace. Drain your oil first.

Prozon

Kris
That's all of it lol.

Drain oil.
Remove 10mm bolts.
Remove oil pan.
Remove old gasket.
Clean surface.
Put new gasket on pan.
Reinstall oil pan.
Put all the 10mm bolts back in and tighten them hand tight.
Install new oil filter.
Fill oil.

valentin530

That's all of it lol.

Drain oil.
Remove 10mm bolts.
Remove oil pan.
Remove old gasket.
Clean surface.
Put new gasket on pan.
Reinstall oil pan.
Put all the 10mm bolts back in and tighten them hand tight.
Install new oil filter.
Fill oil.
Thanx..So I should tighten them hand tight???there is no need for a wrench.

Prozon

Kris
A torque wrench? No. I've never used one.

Make them "snug." Don't try to put so much force on them that they break, just enough so that they won't fall out lol.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
dont drain your oil through the plug....that takes forever, its way faster to just take the oil pan off first then all the oil comes out really fast. make sure you keep your mouth closed when you do it though, and its best to wear some swim goggles-the ones with the nose cover are best.

on a more serious note, its really easy, just make sure the area where the gasket goes is all clean on both halves of the pan, also it wouldnt hurt to dip your finger in some oil and rub it on the new gasket so it sets easily. make sure that when you tighten the pan back up do the bolts that are opposite of each other so you dont put stress on the pan, and tighten them up so that they are just tight enough to hold the lower half against upper half, then go over all of them again and tighten them up the rest of the way

Cman46290

dont drain your oil through the plug....that takes forever, its way faster to just take the oil pan off first then all the oil comes out really fast. make sure you keep your mouth closed when you do it though, and its best to wear some swim goggles-the ones with the nose cover are best.

on a more serious note, its really easy, just make sure the area where the gasket goes is all clean on both halves of the pan, also it wouldnt hurt to dip your finger in some oil and rub it on the new gasket so it sets easily. make sure that when you tighten the pan back up do the bolts that are opposite of each other so you dont put stress on the pan, and tighten them up so that they are just tight enough to hold the lower half against upper half, then go over all of them again and tighten them up the rest of the way
Yeah... the oil pan is very similar to installing a valve cover gasket... you gotta be careful when torquing the bolts down after replacement... spec is 109in. lbs. per bolt... (which isnt very much lol)

96GSRteg

Tyler
theres actually a few bigger bolts holding up another bracket that gets in the way of removing all the bolts on the pan (on the transmission side). i dont remember the sizes, but it only takes a few extra minutes and is easy to figure out. and i hand tightened all the bolts around the pan back on, then went in a cross pattern to snug them down (like putting wheels on).

I also wiped everything down and checked on it a few days later to make sure there werent any more leaks.

pinkley

b@115D33p
I'm doing this now and on my last bolt I realized I have very little room to drop it between the pan and my header. Will I have to unbolt my header? I fucking hope not. Worked 12 hours and got home a 6am this morning. I'm frustrated and tried as hell as of now. Pinkley is a very patient guy when he is tired!

Cman46290

I'm doing this now and on my last bolt I realized I have very little room to drop it between the pan and my header. Will I have to unbolt my header? I f***ing hope not. Worked 12 hours and got home a 6am this morning. I'm frustrated and tried as hell as of now. Pinkley is a very patient guy when he is tired!
yes you will need to drop the header... sorry to be the bearer of bad news~