do i need to remove the starter to remove my transmission?

natt2000

im having trouble seperating my engone from my transmission in the engine bay. i simply cannot get the transmission to seperate from the engine block on the far side, where the starter is. any ideas what would be causing this?

natt2000

whatever. im just going to pull the motor and tranny. can anyone post a link to a guide, or a guide on how to pull the motor and transmission? i cant find one anywhere

trebolDC2

B18C1Yeah Buddy!!!!!
its easy dude.. first u gotta disconnect all the main plugs the 1's by the struts, then drain your coolant, take out the hoses, disconnect the grounds and battery, loose the lug nuts on the front tires of course, disconnect the fuel line from the filter, then take out the shift knob and console , then jack up ur car and disconnect the exhaust pipe from the headers, then loose the shift linkage, take the front tires off, loose the axle nut, loose the front control arms on both sides, remove the bolts of the front struts, then remove the axles, remove the t bracket bolts, if u got money rent an engine lifter then set it up remove the clutch slave cylinder and remove the rest of the mounts and ur done

Last edited:

natt2000

i have an engine lift, all i need to do now is remove the axles, shift linkage, and haul it out.

mirrorimg

and im lookng for an actual step by step guide lol
Hondahookup.com. Go download yourself a manual and read. You could also do some googling that would have netted walkthroughs to remove the engine from the bay.

Also, you need to make sure all of the bolts are removed before you are able to pull the transmission. Did you unbolt both starter bolts? Did you look all the way around the motor and unbolt the bolts holding the transmission on? Odds are you missed one, or more.

Last edited:

natt2000

ive looked, looked, and then looked. only things itcould be would be the starter, but does that connect the tranny to the block? time to go pull the starter.... and ive searched google relentlessly, cant seem to find any guides. thanks for the website^^^

mirrorimg

ive looked, looked, and then looked. only things itcould be would be the starter, but does that connect the tranny to the block? time to go pull the starter.... and ive searched google relentlessly, cant seem to find any guides. thanks for the website^^^
Yes, the lower bolt for the starter actually is another transmission bolt. I believe the top one does not thread through, but the bottom one does.

emd513

jack up your car and loosen your motor mounts so that it can fall down some then makes sure all the bolts are taken out there should be only two one on top and one on the bottom i can t actually remember. then you need to pry the tranny from the motor slightly with a a big screw driver and get a firm grip on it and pull that mother fucker out. not to hard man its pretty simple.

Prozon

Kris
If the motor mounts are not unbolted and your trying to separate the trans from the engine.. you've got some serious issues haha.