96 teg, bad thermostat symptoms

donth8me

..MYSTiCAL..
Wonderin, I got a 96 teg. Automatic. Ls. Wat I was wonderin what r the problems you can occur with a bad thermostat? How can you tell if its no good? Thank you in advance.

normally if the thermostat fails it will be in the "closed" position. This will cause the engine to overheat, and a good sign is if when over heating is there may be coolant blowing out of the overflow tank

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
It it sticks open, then the car will not reach operating temperature. It will run on the colder side.

If it fails closed, then the car will run hot.

Any easy way to test is pull it out and boil it on the stove to make sure it opens once heated

It it sticks open, then the car will not reach operating temperature. It will run on the colder side.

If it fails closed, then the car will run hot.

Any easy way to test is pull it out and boil it on the stove to make sure it opens once heated
Or better yet since thermostats are so darn cheap it would be a good time to replace the thermostat, any questionable hoses and change the fluid... Why not if it hasn't been done in a while.

but this man above is correct.. normally only "fail-safe" thermostats will fail open.. 99% of the time they fail closed

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Or better yet since thermostats are so darn cheap it would be a good time to replace the thermostat, any questionable hoses and change the fluid... Why not if it hasn't been done in a while.

but this man above is correct.. normally only "fail-safe" thermostats will fail open.. 99% of the time they fail closed
Well you would still won't to know if it's working. Replacing it is cheap but if it's not the problem then it still won't help you.

They do fail in the closed position most of the time. However, every one I've had to replace has failed in the open position....oddly enough.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
sounds like you should play the lotery. could the gauge have a problem with this? mine never seems to get to the middle no matter how much i drive, but it would on my old gauge

Well you would still won't to know if it's working. Replacing it is cheap but if it's not the problem then it still won't help you.

They do fail in the closed position most of the time. However, every one I've had to replace has failed in the open position....oddly enough.
a cooling system is quiet easy to understand..

fresh (properly mixed antifreeze)
new thermostat
good condition radiator (no bad fins)
good hoses
no external leaks
and no internal leaks..

other then that it just works..

if his head gasket is not blown and the radiator is not shot and he has no leaks its either a bad stat or old worn out antifreeze

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
a cooling system is quiet easy to understand..

fresh (properly mixed antifreeze)
new thermostat
good condition radiator (no bad fins)
good hoses
no external leaks
and no internal leaks..

other then that it just works..

if his head gasket is not blown and the radiator is not shot and he has no leaks its either a bad stat or old worn out antifreeze
Why are you telling me, I know how it works. :lol:

PS - You left out the ever important water pump and the fact that using antifreeze increases coolant temperatures, not decreases.

heykosal

Angkorian
Why are you telling me, I know how it works. :lol:

PS - You left out the ever important water pump and the fact that using antifreeze increases coolant temperatures, not decreases.
really? didn't know that..

its bad to run just water though right?

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
its bad to run just water though right?
No, not during warm weather. All anti-freeze does is exactly what it sounds like. It raises the freezing point on your coolant so it doesn't freeze. I live in South Texas where it rarely even gets to freezing so I just run pure distilled water with Redline Water Wetter. There is plenty of people in colder climates who run pure water in the summer and switch to a mix during the winter.

The effects are more than most people believe. I posted datalogs to prove it on a DSM site a long time ago. I was only running a 70/30 water/coolant mix while raping my car in 95 degree heat. Running distilled water showed around 10-15 degree differences.

I haven't compared logs since I started running water wetter but you could imagine what pure water w/ wetter vs a 50/50 mix may show.

/thread jack ..........sorry

Last edited:
EXACTLY.. there is NO SUCH THING AS COOLANT... the cooling factor is the WATER.. anti freeze does two things.. it stops corrosion and stops the water from freezing.. I normally run 50/50 or 60/40 (water to antifreeze)

WOW.. i did forget the pump lol thats what I get for posting while dealing with customers.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
No, not during warm weather. All anti-freeze does is exactly what it sounds like. It raises the freezing point on your coolant so it doesn't freeze. I live in South Texas where it rarely even gets to freezing so I just run pure distilled water with Redline Water Wetter. There is plenty of people in colder climates who run pure water in the summer and switch to a mix during the winter.

The effects are more than most people believe. I posted datalogs to prove it on a DSM site a long time ago. I was only running a 70/30 water/coolant mix while raping my car in 95 degree heat. Running distilled water showed around 10-15 degree differences.

I haven't compared logs since I started running water wetter but you could imagine what pure water w/ wetter vs a 50/50 mix may show.

/thread jack ..........sorry
damn, i didn't know this :shock: