front wheel bearings

orwell_1984

Banned
im getting alot of different proceedures on how to change/service the front wheel bearings...

are they the kinda bearings you can re-pack with bearing grease and pop them back in? one of the front wheels is missing the dust cap.. so i imagine the bearing dried out... so anyithing i should know before i jack it up tommaro ?

orwell_1984

Banned
so i shouldnt even bother messing with them unless i have new ones? they need to be pressed out? this is not an at home DIY? i have to take spindle off and bring to my buddies machine shop?

i think they are about to seize up.. help

Last edited:

AcurInteg96

Just call me chris.
if you have a torch take off the spindle and heat up the bearing. you then take out the snap ring and smack the old bearing out with a hammer. then clean out the spindle make sure there isnt any dirt or anything in there. then place new bearing in the spindle. and take a socket and slowly and carefully tap the new on back in place while spindle is hot. do not heat new bearing. thats how we did mine. and when bearing is all the way in put snap ring back in place. takes about an hour.

orwell_1984

Banned
are they noisy?
very.... now i hear a squeking noise after i take off from a red light... like the bearing is so hot it trys to fuse itself while im stopped at the light...

the noise is wretched... sounds like a freight train... pitch changes with MPH

if you have a torch take off the spindle and heat up the bearing. you then take out the snap ring and smack the old bearing out with a hammer. then clean out the spindle make sure there isnt any dirt or anything in there. then place new bearing in the spindle. and take a socket and slowly and carefully tap the new on back in place while spindle is hot. do not heat new bearing. thats how we did mine. and when bearing is all the way in put snap ring back in place. takes about an hour.
thanks dude... ima print that out

Cheesenip

I <3 2.4l's
or carry it up to a shop and have them use an arbor press to put them back in

97teg4l

or carry it up to a shop and have them use an arbor press to put them back in
i would go with this to make sure they are in snug and level. bearings arent something i would mess around with cause they are ummmm...... important lol