ive got problems!

96 LS

im so angry. im comming home from work today and as im pulling up to the light in front of my neighborhood, a whole rack of steam comes pouring out of my hood and some acutally come inside through the vents :shock:
upon closer inspection, i find horrible, terrifying problems. where do i start..well the radiator is done. a good section of the core is rotted and there are hairline cracks along the top. it looks like the steam was comming out of a larger crack in top of the radiator. the upper hose doesnt look too great either. the scariest thing i found was one of the cooling fans was totally loose. i mean the mounting brackets are broken and the fan kind of just sits around in here..and still runs. thats what that rattling was....

well i guess it serves me right for the price i got the car for. i feel stupid for not looking closer :oops:
i kind of trusted the guy i got the car from, so i was too naive to really check it out, i kinda jus looked it over.
i mean c'mon now, 96 LS, 5spd, sunroof, p/w locks, windows, mirrors. good conditions(other than the problems) and about 85k miles when i got it. and i paid 4,800 for it. cash

i guess what im asking is how should i go about getting this taken care of. should i take it to the acura dealer and have it fixed there? or find a reputable honda/acura shop? how much is a new radiator/hoses/fans and thermostat possibly cost me? if its more than a thousand or so, screw it im droppin in a b18c1 bcuz i know them at noyan usa. (http://www.noyanengines.com/) help me out?!

g3teg97

Super Moderator
You can get remanufactured radiator for a lot less than buying a new one. That's what we did. But on G3's they the radiator usually goes around 100k. Ours went around 95k. Check out radiatorbarn, then seem to have good prices.

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
Dont worry man cracked radiators are a common thing on teggys, a replacement one should cost 80 bucks more or less also can get the fan shroud separately since your fan motor still works, better now thatn later

LaDY iNTEgRa 9

. . .MiSSiN dA tEg :(
yeah, it shouldnt run you too much money. i spent 250 on my brand new radiator, thermostat, and hoses. but i think it might have a crack somewhere because... err idk my car frustrates me.

Melt

the lone outdoorsman
dude do NOT even feel bad.

I paid 4900 for my 96 ls with 119k new tbelt, clutch, maint all good.

Dented drivers side door, bubble purple tint, cracked radiator, shitty alarm, BALD tires

Check out radiator.com ... i got my new one for $127 and then i just had to get hoses for another $40 and ive never installed a radiator before but it wasnt that hard.

Ive fixed everything except the door ... i love this car.

Last edited:

96 LS

Check out radiator.com ... i got my new one for $127 and then i just had to get hoses for another $40 and ive never installed a radiator before but it wasnt that hard.
so youre saying that the install is pretty simple/straightforward? cuz im thinking of just getting the parts and doing it myself

DJNAS

HUSTLING FOR A HUSTLER
just do it your self ...its mad easy its about 30 minutes work .... and should not cost you more then $100 dollers ....

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
Melt said:
I told you Melts been pushin that site.

96 LS

wellllll unfourtunatly my father didnt think it was a very good idea to get the parts and allow me to do the work myself. he took the car to a mechanic that he knows(who i think is fluke as sh!t) to get the repairs. the reason i think hes fluke is because when i dropped the car off, i asked for a writted estimate(which is a right i believe) and you all would not believe the answer i got..."a written estimate? oh but i havent done any work yet." i was like ooookay w/e and left. well i got a call from him today and i guess im satisfied with what he is TELLING me(ihavent seen the car yet)
this is what he says he did:

-replaced the radiator/cooling fans, the battery, and spark plugs
-cleaned the throttle body and injectors.

BUT he said that since my radiator was leaking and the engine got REALLY hot a few times that the might be a crack in the head gasket? he said something about letting it run for a long time and it never overheated but theres a lot of pressure?

sound right to you guys?

siscoke

if ur car ran hot a few times its very possible that your headgasket is cracked indeed. though he should be able to check that and not say "possably" cause you can c those things (like cooling wather tthat contains oil or your oil that contains wather etc etc) those are all signs of a broken gasket :s so he should figure out what to do before calling you. still if it indeed ran hot a few times there is a big chance there are other things messed up 2 like ur valves or valvesprings got burned and they will be letting oil in ur chamber wich will give u a lot more of oil burned in a short time so check ur oil every week when u get it back. that way you dont totally blow ur engine.

greetz sis