Misfiring teggy

1998dc4

It wasnt the fuel filter! :( Is my ecu fried te teggy also won't go past 80mph area mechanic said it is I's this common ? The car has power then it doesn't mechanic said the ecu isn't giving the signals right anymore? Pls help!! I already did a complete tune up distributor plugs etc.

1998dc4

Is my ecu fried it misfires and won't go past 80 mph mechanic said it is I's this common ? The car has power then it doesn't mechanic said the ecu isn't giving the signals right anymore? Pls help!! I already did a complete tune up distributor plugs etc.

1994 Integra

The monitor for the cat can take a while to complete. (Telling you if it is good or bad) I would say a compression and leakdown test should be in order. Along with fuel pressure test. Maybe the solevent ruined your regulator.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Ecu is not fried, thats stupid. What does it do when you get to 80mph? How does it drive under 80? Any CELs?

1998dc4

I have p1399 and all misfire codes from all cylnders do you guy think my CAT could be clogged or 02 sensors are out??? From 2 times that I SEAFOAMEd the car and with the thinner solvent all in the same week ? Reason why I put the thinner in first place is because I had originally got the below threshold catalyc converter CEL I thought the thinner would clean it out I guess not instead it might clogged it ....We did everything already nothing has worked... it takes 4 ever to reach 80mpg the car Boggs alotttt and when I'm at 80mph it doesn't go any further the more I accelarate infact if I gun it its goes even slower ...btw CEL light is always flashing ??? Idk what tha means... And also my exahust tip is really dirty with carbon build up ands smells like crap and also bogs

Last edited:

1998dc4

Yes my mechanic did all that whole procedure ... But those numbers were before he did a valve adjustment he said my valves were to tight but he fixed that already .. After that tho he didn't do another compression test I'm sure the compression is higher now?.... I'm convinced that it has to be my CAT or 02sensors ... If I get another cat do I need to buy more 02 sensors?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Please the O2 sensors first as they are much cheaper and its possible the solvent damaged them.

1998dc4

Well I ended up getting a new cat today and still runs like crap misfiring randomly ... Did I have to replace my 02 sensors?? Or can I clean them ? Someone said to just unplug the primary one how would that help? :(

Physh1

Someone said to just unplug the primary one how would that help? :(
No, stop listening to that person.

Is your CEL still flashing?

I'm not going to say anything really about fuel additives or bandaid fixes but...it sounds like you mixed 1 gallon of whatever you used with not nearly enough fuel. 1 gallon to 1/2 a tank can be a lot depending on the car.

1/2 a teggy tank is ~6.5 gallons...that additive is 14% of your tank...if your gauge was at 1/2 & it's anything like my teg it's actually at 5 gallons...or 17%...eeekkkkkkkkkkk!

1/2 a tank in my Tahoe is ~13 gallons...1/2 is actually darn near half so that would be a 7% mix. The 'add this to 1/2 a tank of fuel' is really a dumb measure for additives...especially strong ones.

Did this problem start after the seafoam or after the paint thinner or did you do the two simultaneously? I'm thinking that you could have either overdone the seafoam possibly damaging some valves or you seriously washed out the rings. Either way, misfire codes on all 4 cylinders is seriously bad.

You don't have an ECU problem...the additives didn't clog your catalytic converter (it's not how they clog), your o2 sensors probably should be checked if not replaced, & you need to start looking elsewhere.

Your mechanic checked compression...did he perform a leakdown test? That will help indicate a source to your problem (like a ring (bottom end) or valve (top end) issue)

Stop guessing & hunting...diagnose than repair...

Cameron

1998dc4

Yes the cel light is flashing its almost always flashing ....The problem happened after the seafoam ... I seafoamed the car once just to try it. It didnt misfire then everythjng was fine ....then I Dnt remember how long later maybe 2 weeks later I got the catalyc below threshold code so I did the paint thinner 1 gallon with 1/2 tank of gas then alil under a week I started to misfire randomly really badly so I seafomed it 2 more times to hope it would fix it :( and it didnt ... Bottom line is the car never had misfires until after I did the seafoam and paint thinner methods ... One of those methods or both combined did something to the car but idk what :( ... And no he didn't do leakdown test ... But he did adjust the valves and he said their good... And also the car is eso especially hardcore misifiring on cold starts like when I haven't driven it for a whole day it's really bad .. But as I drive thru the day it gets alil better just enough to get from point A to point B it lacks alot of power all while cel is flashing . And furthermore when I can scan the computer the codes are always different one day I have 2 codes like cylnder #1 is misfiring and so Is # 2 ... But the next time I scan the codes it's just cylnders 3 and 4 ... And sometmes it's all of them simultaneously it's back and forth .. Except code p1399 that one is always present. This is the exact laquer thinner I used. http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;jsessionid=FE85F800B65E3E2B9FF932EC84C8E99A#ip/Klean-Strip-Lacquer-Thinner-1gal/17208801

Last edited:

Physh1

Well, you should never do anything like seafoam when you're misfiring...period...

You likely did some damage & should have someone qualified look over the motor for you to determine the extent if there is anything internal wrong. A flashing CEL isn't to be played around with.