Another Comfort Question.. Sorry!

woohoo

Trust me I've done my research before posting but I still haven't found a post that answers this question for me.

What affects ride quality more, rim + tire size or ride height?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Optional reading if you want me to elaborate: (a bit long winded)

My understanding is the lower you go=the harsher the ride because of required stiffer spring rates.

My other understanding from research is that theoretically and logically a 15x7 on 195/50 would be more comfortable than a 16x7 on 205/45 because of tire wall size.

Let's assume that I want NO gap between the tire and fender.

So here's the conflict:
15s on 195/50 are said to be more comfortable, but to have no gap I'd have to be lower, taking away from comfort.
16's on 205/45 are said to be less comfortable than 15s, but I won't be as low, so it will sort of balance out the reduced comfort from the 16 & 205/45.

My point is, assuming that I dont want a gap, how am I supposed to know for sure which combination of wheel + tire is more comfortable? It just seems that they both have aspects that take away from comfort, but I don't know which set up would be less comfy than the other. :

More tire wall but lower ride height or less tire wall but higher ride height. So confusing!

Last edited:

Ryan659

I won't read the long part. But both do indirectly. Larger rim = smaller tire = less comfort.

Lower stance = stiffer springs = less comfort

Ryan659

Okay, i glanced at the long part and if you're only getting rid of gap, do 16's with 195/45 tires and you'll be fine. :thumbs ip

woohoo

Okay, i glanced at the long part and if you're only getting rid of gap, do 16's with 195/45 tires and you'll be fine. :thumbs ip
Won't that stretch tire? That's not an option for me, sorry.

Appreciate the reply though. I think I'll just **** it and go with what I think would work and then just learn from trial and error.

Ryan659

You don't need a wider tire with a larger diameter rim :lol: both are x7 as you stated. My rims are 16x7 with 195/45 and there is no stretch, I promise.

Don't just **** it and waste money. If you want to waste money, I'll give you my PayPal and I won't waste it.

woohoo

You don't need a wider tire with a larger diameter rim :lol: both are x7 as you stated. My rims are 16x7 with 195/45 and there is no stretch, I promise.

Don't just **** it and waste money. If you want to waste money, I'll give you my PayPal and I won't waste it.
Just looked at your teg and youre right, sorry :oops:

Yours actually looks like what I'm trying to pull off. Couple questions if you dont mind me asking

How many inches is your drop? It's perfect.
If its your daily (even if its not), how's the ride quality?

Thanks a lot for your replies dude, can be hard to get answers on this forum sometimes.

Ryan659

Just looked at your teg and youre right, sorry :oops:

Yours actually looks like what I'm trying to pull off. Couple questions if you dont mind me asking

How many inches is your drop? It's perfect.
If its your daily (even if its not), how's the ride quality?

Thanks a lot for your replies dude, can be hard to get answers on this forum sometimes.
No problem dude.

I don't know how many inches I'm lowered :lol: I bought coilovers so I could adjust to whatever I wanted. Ride quality is decent, I bought the Tein street basis coilovers and prob should have forked over more but she's a garage queen so I don't really need super comfortable coilovers.

With Tein though, I would be comfortable daily-ing it with out complaints. But if you are going to daily it i would prob go a bit higher (like a finger) just so I wouldn't have to worry so much about street conditions and driveways.

woohoo

No problem dude.

I don't know how many inches I'm lowered :lol: I bought coilovers so I could adjust to whatever I wanted. Ride quality is decent, I bought the Tein street basis coilovers and prob should have forked over more but she's a garage queen so I don't really need super comfortable coilovers.

With Tein though, I would be comfortable daily-ing it with out complaints. But if you are going to daily it i would prob go a bit higher (like a finger) just so I wouldn't have to worry so much about street conditions and driveways.
Thanks a lot man. I really like the look of a lower teggy on 15" rims but comfort really is a must for me. My set up plan is 16x7 +35 on 195/45 like you suggested. Do you think if i went up to 195/50 or 55 the looks would be off?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Tire choice obviously plays a huge role in comfort as well. More so than your 195/15 vs 205/16 example.

woohoo

Tire choice obviously plays a huge role in comfort as well. More so than your 195/15 vs 205/16 example.
When you say tire choice are you talking about brand wise? Because my 195/15 205/16 example is technically tire choice because they're two different sizes lol

Muckman

Not a M0derator
brand & model of tire.

a 195/55/15 performance summer tire will have a much stiffer sidewall than say a 195/55/15 snow tire.

woohoo

Hey on your ROTM posts it says you're using 16x7 with BF Goodrich G Force Sport Comp 2 Tires but when I look those up they only have 205/45r16 no 195/45r16. You sure you're not running a 205? The 195 is no where to be found.

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
Thanks a lot man. I really like the look of a lower teggy on 15" rims but comfort really is a must for me. My set up plan is 16x7 +35 on 195/45 like you suggested. Do you think if i went up to 195/50 or 55 the looks would be off?
Taller tires will mess up your speedo. From a dead stop, it will take more throttle to get the car going. Hence, using more gas. However, in cruising speed, you will get better gas mileage due to less rotation of the wheel. Did that make sense :???:

Ryan659

Hey on your ROTM posts it says you're using 16x7 with BF Goodrich G Force Sport Comp 2 Tires but when I look those up they only have 205/45r16 no 195/45r16. You sure you're not running a 205? The 195 is no where to be found.
You're right, I just checked my tires and they are 205/45 :) my bad