Another Comfort Question.. Sorry!

Nick_C78

Keep in mind, the sidewall size is based on a percentage. A 195 50 and 205 45 will have almost the same sidewall height. It isn't a fixed number. It is proportional to the tread width. Ie 225/45 has same sidewall height as 205/50. So pay more attention to tire compound and design.

osiris19

To better clear up what nick said, the second number is called the aspect ratio. It is a percentage of the tires width. 50% of 195 is how high the it is. Also something about tires I just learned in school. Check the manufacture dates on them when you buy them to make sure you got recently made tires.

Nick_C78

45 isn't 50% of 195. I'm confused
Lol what? 195/45 would mean the sidewall height is 45% of the tread width. 195*0.45=sidewall size, which for this example is 87.75mm.

285/30 would mean the sidewall height is 30 percent of 285.

Ryan659

Lol what? 195/45 would mean the sidewall height is 45% of the tread width. 195*0.45=sidewall size, which for this example is 87.75mm.

285/30 would mean the sidewall height is 30 percent of 285.
What? I took one autoshop class in HS 15 years ago and got a D :lol:

Thanks for explaining in though.

themiller13

Didn't read the whole thread. I will admit that out of the gates. So if it's been covered forgive me.

205/45/16 has the functionally the same outer diameter as 195/55/15. Switching the two will not make a noticable difference between ride height.

Offset. Stock meshies are +42 I think. Here's my db7 with the natural camber a half inch higher than the pic below.
ignore the slamboard.

This is the dc2 with the same height as the silver DB below and -2*f/-1.5*r camber.
at +40. I did roll the rear fenders which pushed it out a little. And pulled on the fronts just a little for insurance.

Comfort/stiffness comes from everything that sits between you and the road. Bushings, shocks/springs, and tires.

Bushings are self explanatory. The stiffer they are, the more energy they transfer to the chassis. = rougher

Shocks/springs. Koni/gc is a fabulous set up. I went with non-ots rates: 440f/350r. For this amount of low. Had the setup on a db7 and a dc2. Both pictured.

The adjustability of the shock is a nice touch. Allowing you to dial in exactly what you want. I rode just a touch back from full stiff. I paired that with extended top hats and hard race bushings in the top hats, RTAs, upper control arms. And had function 7 LCAs with respective bushings.

I liked it a lot. Never bottomed the shock out. But the UCA in hit the towers a few times.

Tire comfort is directly dependent on tire pressure and initial/resulting sidewall stiffness combination. I ran Bfg sport comp-2s in 195/55/15.

With all of that it was very very comfortable I got a really good feel for the road but didn't feel every grain of sand I drove over. Ultimately feel comes down to what you like. I had people tell me it was way too stiff (compared to their Buick regal) or not stiff enough (hella-slammed static Miata).

Last edited:

woohoo

Shocks/springs. Koni/gc is a fabulous set up. I went with non-ots rates: 440f/350r. For this amount of low. Had the setup on a db7 and a dc2. Both pictured.
These are actually the spring rates that I was thinking about.

My wheels are the exact same specs as this guy's as well as tires. Do you think I'd be able to go that low with the spring rates you listed above with no problems? I mean it looks like the teg in your second picture is about as low as the teg in my picture.