New to Forum; '94 Integra 4-dr w/ B20B swap... CARB-legal Intake?

elysianite

Hey guys, just bought myself the car mentioned in the title. I'll try to post some pics soon if anyone's interested.

My goal is to get the car legal to drive in CA... I would love it if i could one day drive the car down the street knowing that, regardless of what cop happened to want to hassle me, they could never impound my car because they happened to pop the hood and not like what they saw underneath.

Mechanically the car is solid. Aesthetically. it's alright... not bad, not perfect.

I haven't done anything to the car since I purchased it besides finding a mounting pin in the harness that the person installing failed to remove, causing a check engine light... so that was cleared. Got the Viper alarm working as well.

I had an appointment with a BAR Ref. Great guy... admittedly, he was the one that found the cause of the check engine light. He said that I need to get a CARB-legal intake (came with a generic aftermarket w/ Matrix filter element), fix the timing... oh... and get the cooling fans working (aren't working and overheated near the end of test!) and return for another try.

Smog was okay besides NOX... which was about double what it should be. Said it could be timing, but that perhaps I need a better cat.

However... not to that stage yet. For now, INTAKE!

I need either an OEM or CARB legal replacement and have been scouring the forums and internet for recommendations, but have found little. Given the popularity of Integs in CA, i thought I would find something definitive right away... but I guess it's a bit conflicting; wanting a CARB legal intake on a B20B, which technically, should not be BARable. I'm looking into AEM, but besides buying each model and trial-fitting each one, is there any info out there for options that will fit a 3rd gen Integ w/ a B20B?

Thanks in advance!

poordc2

u should ask the reff if ur even allowed to bard the b20 motor before u start buying all these parts cause I haven't seen or even heard of a b20 being bard legal (correct me if I am wrong).....cause if ur able to bard a b20 then let me know where u bard it a and I will come and bard my motor where ur at

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
one for a LS will fit. This thread is contradictory, you want your car to be 100% unimoundable, but if a cop sees your motor has a b20 in it, its an automatic ref ticket and the B20 will not pass because it is a light truck motor.

Tokyo_Drift

Cop wont know what the difference between a B18 and a B20 is lol, and if they do, there gonna be a honda fan

Cripton805

It's kind of dumb though.
The sticker pretty much represents that your car will no longer be smogged and recognized as an Integra and now it will be a CR-V
It also says it right on the sticker.

If you wan't to BAR an engine, get an engine you can BAR.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
i have a factory air intake system that is 100% complete for an LS if you want it, dont know if it will help your situation but PM me if your interested

elysianite

one for a LS will fit. This thread is contradictory, you want your car to be 100% unimoundable, but if a cop sees your motor has a b20 in it, its an automatic ref ticket and the B20 will not pass because it is a light truck motor.
Well, you'd be surprised... Like I said, I already went to see the Ref and he said he would accept the motor as a "replacement" and officially authorize it with that motor... so long as I fix the things he mentioned (timing, air intake, etc.) and get it to pass the emissions test he runs. It failed the NOX portion.

Frankly, the intake that came with the car was absolute trash. I was appalled to see that there was a huge hole right near the manifold that was in place, probably to place some kind of sensor or meter, but was not plugged with anything. In other words, the air arriving to the motor before I sealed it was not even filtered up to that point... I think this is why my performance was dying so drastically once the car warmed up because I think the Mass Air sensor was registering no pressure, and so kicking into lean burn because it thought it was starved for air.

Anyway, yeah... need that intake... So LS huh? I'll be looking into it. Think any AEM designed for an LS should work then?

Thanks guys.

poordc2

keep us updated because i dont want to hate or anything but i would love to see a picture of your B20 bard sticker and if you get it then tell me who bard your b20 so i can make a appointment too:twisted:

elysianite

I will... no doubt, haha! You know, just don't want to count my chickens before they're hatched! I'll go through the whole process before I pass on any info. The guy is just real practical. I was all business with the guy... you know, just went in there and told him the truth which was that I just got the car and bought it simply because I was looking for a Honda with as low of miles on the powertrain as I could find for the money... and knew little about the details of the engine swap.

I was in my biz/casual clothing from work, was respectful, used proper English, and he knew I wasn't looking to race it or anything. I guess he figures if I can get it to pass smog and I'm not going to tune it to terrorize the town, why not give me a break?

Just got a stock intake/box from a '96 last night. Will try to install over weekend and get appt. to get timing and leaks fixed. Will keep you guys updated... and no worries, I definitely understand the skepticism... I didn't believe it was possible either... I mean, the rules are the rules right. We'll just see I guess...

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Cop wont know what the difference between a B18 and a B20 is lol, and if they do, there gonna be a honda fan
not necessarily, depending on what they catch you for, they will run your casting number and it will come back a crv or something weird.

Well, you'd be surprised... Like I said, I already went to see the Ref and he said he would accept the motor as a "replacement" and officially authorize it with that motor... so long as I fix the things he mentioned (timing, air intake, etc.) and get it to pass the emissions test he runs. It failed the NOX portion.

Frankly, the intake that came with the car was absolute trash. I was appalled to see that there was a huge hole right near the manifold that was in place, probably to place some kind of sensor or meter, but was not plugged with anything. In other words, the air arriving to the motor before I sealed it was not even filtered up to that point... I think this is why my performance was dying so drastically once the car warmed up because I think the Mass Air sensor was registering no pressure, and so kicking into lean burn because it thought it was starved for air.

Anyway, yeah... need that intake... So LS huh? I'll be looking into it. Think any AEM designed for an LS should work then?

Thanks guys.
sounds like you got a hooked up there. Technically that motor is illegal sicnce its classified as a truck motor.