Synthetic oil, spark plugs question

injen51

i am going to switch to syntetic, i have 108k on a 97 integra, just got it 2 months ago but its in the middle of winter and i dont know wether its better to switch over in 20 degree weather or wait till summer. I also want to replace my plugs but dont know which ones to get, V power, G- power, laser platnium or iridium IX. here is the link to ngks site if you need more info. http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/part_finder/car_truck_suv/results.asp
Please help and thanks so much

Last edited:

DA6righthand

Registered Badass
i would just get the OE replacement plugs because it doesn't really matter unless you were doing big power mods and need the extra spark.

as for oil, Honda/Acura use Mobil1 from the factory. that is synthetic. i've been running AMSOIL full synthetic in my car since about 100k miles and my car's at 129k miles right now. it runs awesome and doesn't burn oil. i would beware of running Royal Purple because i've heard of it being too thin and causing engines to burn oil, but i haven't read anything to prove that either.

proudtobeawesom

i was thinking to switching to mobil1 and amsoil but i didnt know what would be better and more affordable
right now im running a castrol 5w40 synthetic any opinions. how expensive is amsoil? i have a daily driven ls-vtec turbo

~kevin

tkvang

Retail for Amsoil is ~$12/quart. Stick with Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec if money is an issue. I wouldnt bother with amsoil for a dd. Stick with the OE plugs.

slammedteg94

Run Mobil 1 5W-30 and OEM honda filter. For plugs use NGK V-Power, they are like $2.** a plug and are the best (stock OEM replacement).

dc2b18

Wait... What?
mobil 1 is a great oil that i have been using for a while, i've used royal purple every now and then when i get a deal and i have never had any problems with eiher of them. I know alot of people who live and die by royal purple... between that and the fact that it's a racing oil, i highly doubt you would burn it. OEM v-power plugs are good although you could use the platinum ngk's and you won't be replacing them nearly as much and it's likely that you could see and increase in gas mileage and performance

DA6righthand

Registered Badass
Retail for Amsoil is ~$12/quart. Stick with Mobil 1 or Castrol Syntec if money is an issue. I wouldnt bother with amsoil for a dd. Stick with the OE plugs.
where did you get your info? 100% synthetic 5W-30 is $8.90 a quart. the quality and how long AMSOIL lasts is a bonus. getting 25k miles on 1 oil change is always a plus too...

Run Mobil 1 5W-30 and OEM honda filter. For plugs use NGK V-Power, they are like $2.** a plug and are the best (stock OEM replacement).
just because it's oem doesn't mean it's the best. there is no difference in oem oil filters and Fram filters, both of which are not all that great. they're just low quality paper element filters.

TeggyBear_Ls

90 EF LS/V 95 DC4
I know alot of people who live and die by royal purple...
I used to. I used to run Royal Purple in EVERYTHING. Until the price skyrocketed from the already ridiculous $7.29 to $8.99 a quart. Now I run Q's Horsepower 10w-30 from WalMart for only $4.01 a quart and it's FULL SYNTHETIC. :thumbs up

Also, I use NGK iridium plugs in the integra, because believe it or not, it's noticeable. And NGK V-Power's in my Jetta. Or you go out on a limb and try out the new Pulstar Pulse Plugs. There are pretty expensive, but put down some decent numbers for plugs.

Last edited:

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
what he says^^^u can switch over any time.
while this is popular belief, it is very smart for any engine who has not been using synthetic its whole life, to use a semi-synthetic for a few oil changes. that way the engine gets a transition to the smaller molecules. i have run Valvoline 5w-30 MaxLife(also a great reccomendation for ANY enigne over 75k miles) and i love it. its a semi-synthetic oil just for high mileage engines. i am about to switch over to the MaxLife fully synthetic. and at like 5 bucks a quart, dont know the exact price i have a hook up, its a good deal.

where did you get your info? 100% synthetic 5W-30 is $8.90 a quart. the quality and how long AMSOIL lasts is a bonus. getting 25k miles on 1 oil change is always a plus too...

just because it's oem doesn't mean it's the best. there is no difference in oem oil filters and Fram filters, both of which are not all that great. they're just low quality paper element filters.
just because it says you can go that long, doesnt mean you should... i would NEVER go that long on one oil change, synthetic or not. and as far as filters goes, if your going to go 25k on one change NO filter will last that long.

DA6righthand

Registered Badass
just because it says you can go that long, doesnt mean you should... i would NEVER go that long on one oil change, synthetic or not. and as far as filters goes, if your going to go 25k on one change NO filter will last that long.
i used to think the same thing. i read up about oil on bobistheoilguy.com about oil and AMSOIL and extended oil changes. from the info i gathered there, it's ok to go 15-25k miles on 1 oil change but changing the filter is a must. i definitely change my filter before 25k. i'm getting my Trufilter rebuildable oil filter on next oil change to keep from going through paper filters. i'll buy a remote filter mount before my next change so cleaning the filter will be more convenient.