engine overheat and spark plugs submerged in oil, advice?

evilbulgarian

hi, wondering what i should do after an engine overheat followed by loss of power and stall. When i checked under the hood the spark plugs were submerged in oil.

mirrorimg

The two issues are completely unrelated. The oil in the spark plug holes is because the spark plug tube seals are not doing their job. I suggest you pull the valve cover and replace the gaskets.

The overheating could be: stuck closed thermostat (unlikely but possible), low coolant/coolant leak leading to a low level of coolant, or your radiator fans not working properly when the car is at idle.

When did it overheat? While you were driving or while you were stopped?

emd513

check your oil and water. if the oil is milky or if you see a oilly residue in the coolant then you have a blown head gasket also check and see if there is any water coming from your exhaust.

evilbulgarian

overheating was while driving. the fans seem to run way after car has been turned off. i will check the coolant for oil traces. seems i need gasket + orings + bolts any ideas on where i can find good deal on that?

evilbulgarian

ok, so i replaced valve cover gasket and spark plug orings. tryed to start and it just cranked over. took spark plugs out again and just the bottoms of them were dirty with oil again. I cleaned them again and cranked engine over with them out to get oil out. After that I cleaned them again and put back in and car started up. Nothing shady coming out of the exhaust. The only problem I see now is what seems like a missfire when shifting from 1st to 2nd or in 2nd at low rpms. Any ideas? Is it possible for spark plugs to be damaged? Flooding?

evilbulgarian

ok. so the missfire was caused by the spark plugs for anyone else that runs into this sort of thing.

Paulb

user
do a compression test on the block, how did the oil look? and how hot did it get when it overheated, did it go all the way to the H or just start to work its way up,