Idle Problem - Possibly Power Steering Related?

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
Okay guys, I have a 99' GSR relatively stock and I cannot figure out this problem. At a cold start it'll idle around 1-1.5K depending. No issues or anything. Once the car is warmed up, the idle drops closer to anywhere from 200-750. Sometime's the RPMS dip dangerously low and it fights to not stall, when I turn the steering wheel hard, it's pretty much guaranteed to stall unless I'm on the gas a fair amount. It's nearly killed me about twice now making U turns and the like. I've replaced the plugs/wires/dizzy cap and rotor, cleaned the IACV, alternator and battery are okay, new vtec solenoid gaskets, and no CEL's. Anyone have any thoughts?

Cman46290

hmm, i would have guess IACV... but if you cleaned it then it should be ok. Have you checked out the throttle body to see if its all gummed up with carbon buildup?

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
I cleaned the iac pretty well. How hard is it to check the throttle body? I'm still learning

Cman46290

All you would have to do.. it disconnect your intake tube where it connects to the throttle body.... open up the throttle plate and spray a bunch of brake clean or throttle body cleaner in there... and take a toothbrush and scrub the hell out of it in there... then i usually spray more brake clean in there... and try to wipe it out with a shop towel the best i can.

Let it sit for about 15 minutes before starting. When you start it... chances are it will smoke a buch from the tail pipe (burning offf the remaining brake cleaner)... just let it run for 15 minutes or so at idle.... then take it for a spin... drive normal for a few miles.... then get on it a couple times....

This may help... plus its easy... and can never hurt to do anyways.

Cman46290

Another thing is... if your IACV is actually bad... then cleaning it wouldnt help...

When you turn your wheel... and your power steering engages.... your idle natually drops because of the extra load on the engine... your IACV is supposed to automatically bump up your idle to compensate so your car doesnt stall.... same like turning the AC on.

Prozon

Kris
Didn't a friend of yours have a spare IACV you could use?
It's kind of a perplexing issue, I would say replace the IACV just to be sure..

I know it's easier for me to tell you to replace parts, because obviously i'm not spending the money.. but that does seem like the best route.

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
But why only when I warm it up? If that all was the case..wouldn't it ne constant?

Cman46290

idle is always higher before your car goes into closed loop... it is high at start up to speed up the process of warming up...

Prozon

Kris
With the motor warm try unplugging it. My car can stay running with the IACV unplugged. The RPM's will drop a bit.