***Official: Recommended tire sizes for 17" Rim"""

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
I've read many pages on this issue but im hoping enough people reply on this one to make it the only one that needs to be read.
I have 17x7" Motegi MR7 and am running 205/40/17 which is a real uncomfortable ride when you hit the slightest pothole. Have had one blow out and 2 rims cracked and repaired. What is the biggest tire I can run on stock suspension? Really hoping I can step it up to 205/45(I think this is the max?) without any worry for rubbing issues. And how wide of a tire can I run? Please, share your experiences! Include all suspension mods so people know what you have done to make what ever tire/rim fit. Thanks a lot.
- Aaron

*Update - 205/45's will rub on stock height. Modification is required such as "rolling the fenders" 205/45's on a 16" Rim will fit fine and give you a much more comfortable ride that 205/40's on 17's

Last edited:

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
Thank fuck for asterisks, huh? I have a similar rim and I have to ride with a 205/40 or I rub all over the place. Les Schwab seems to think that I can run a 215/45, but I returned them after a week because the rub was so bad. I still rub in the rear on a 205/40 and it's a bitch in the front because of that body seam in the fender.
I would get new rims, rather than buy new tires for these; 17's are uncomfortable as fuck and they look a bit out of place on our cars

sinisterDB

when you have the right offset 205/40 or 205/45 should fit jus fine without the rubbin issues. if i remember correctly 32-38 is the sweet spot for no rubbin but when i pick up my wheels ill let you know what offset they are.
i was dropped on stock struts with H&R race springs 3.0 f and 2.8 r and never rubbed, my tires (falken 512) were stretched so that may have helped with the no rub.
my car was really slammed but i avoided potholes and any slightly raised manhole covers like the plague other than that never had any issues except for tire wear since i didnt have a camber kit in the front and the car handled well

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
How do I measure my offset? And I dont understand how you are rubbing with 205/40's dolla? Are you lowered or anything because ive never heard of someone rubbing with my size tire before. So will a 205/45 fit without problems? How about 215/45? What does the extra width in the 215 change?

whitedc4

I'm on 205/40 with my 17s no problems. I changed suspension when I felt like I had a rough ride. If u do rub all u would need is a camber kit I'd think. All I do is take out fender liners and push in the tabs on the inside.

phatintegra

Banned
I'm running 215/45/17 on my 17x7.5. I'm dropped with my fender rolled. I only rub over speed bump even I go and an angle.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
I suggest you put the fender liners back on. When I bought my car, it was missing the fender liner on the passenger side and there were little rocks stuck in random spots which created areas of rust everywhere!
@Phat What do you mean by and angle? Do you mean on tight turns? Sounds like 215 wont fit on stock ride height. What would the 45's rub on?

phatintegra

Banned
I have to drive the teg in a crazy angle to get one wheel over at a time over the speed bump. Turning wise I have no problem I can do I complete circle.

You can see pics in my signature to see how far the tire went inside the fender.

They might be 40 instead of 45. I can check later on today.

Last edited:

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
I picked up a set of SSR 16x7 with a 205/45; OMG, huge difference. A 40 sidewall is buster shit, yo; it literally makes a car shitty in my own recently educated opinion. I feel like I'm riding a spaceship, gliding through the clouds with Luke Skywalker giving me a handjob while Princess Leia tickles my scrotum with freshly manicured nails

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Yea, im considering downsizing to 16's but I like my 17's alot and they look good on my car. Still dont feel i've got a straight answer on whether 45's will rub.

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
Yea, im considering downsizing to 16's but I like my 17's alot and they look good on my car. Still dont feel i've got a straight answer on whether 45's will rub.
For me, they did; no camber kit with a 205/45-17. They will be fine if you roll your fenders
17's look good, I liked mine; but I promise when you roll on a nice set of 16's, you'll love it

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
arent you the mpg dude? why not get a 195 55 15 if you are.

but 205 45 17 will probably rub, i run 215 45 16 and they dont rub, why not try a 40 series on a 17 inch rim