b18b1 block vs b18A1 block?

Raceready603

ok I had recently cracked a piston sleeve on my b18b1 block.

Can I use a b18A1 block with the b18b1 head? (yes the head checked out and is fine). Will the trans be fine from the B1 to the A1 as well? Is this basically interchangeable?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
100% interchangeable. I'm not even sure why Honda made a different part number for the B1.

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
100% interchangeable. I'm not even sure why Honda made a different part number for the B1.
Americans are picky?

The japanese probably "said" it was an all new car with the model redesign and labeled the block as b1.

Just my theory, but it was probably just a sales pitch.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
There's probably an insiginificant difference in the block which usually warrants a new part number unless you're GM lol

96LSteg

Jemel
http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f14/difference-between-b18a-b18b-58566/

B18A has ~10hp less than B18B
Torque and up curves are a little different.
B18A has stronger internals than B18B.

It's easier to make the short block assembly a new "part" number than changing the part numbers for all of the internals. It's a lot less paperwork.
It seems that the bare blocks are the same, the difference is the short block assembly.
Everything he said. To add, the cam profile for the B1 is more "aggressive" (for lack of a better term) and the head is slightly better (not that it matters because it still sucks). Also the A1 should come with a PCV breather box on the block so I would say the A1s are better ventilated.