Novice Integra/manual owner; Asking for maintenance advice

soviet snarf

1997 GSR 3d
Ok Denso is OEM... but all of the Denso starters for sale out there are re-manufactured and are about $130... the brand new TYC starter is $80. is it really worth it?
I'm leaning towards the TYC at the moment because of money troubles and I just need this car to run.

Noneed2Hate

buy cheap buy twice. you'll end up paying more in the end if you go with the cheaper option once it goes out on you after minimal use.

soviet snarf

1997 GSR 3d
I gotcha guys - you are giving good advice.

The thing is I CAN get my car to start, after 15-20 tries. Leaving the battery on for a minute seems to help.
I cleaned off one of my battery terminals that had some oil leak on it from before, but it didn't help the car start right away. I still had to do the usual routine of trying 15-20 times.

Could that mean the battery is just weak and I need to get it tested and probably replaced?
How could I ever start my car if the starter was bad?

JustinMcGee1

I like Hondas
send your core from your starter motor in and the total is $90 for Denso

Ryan659

If the start only clicks once it sounds like the copper contact points inside the starter itself are worn down. Same exact thing happened to mine. Toyota sells a starter rebuild kit that has the exact copper pieces you need for the rebuild. It'll maybe cost you $10 in parts and an hour or less to fix

soviet snarf

1997 GSR 3d
Hey guys thanks for following along and helping out...
Still haven't replaced the starter. I think there might be another problem with the engine.
On cold starts the engine will try to turn over but it will not turn over. At first it sounds like it just rotates a couple of times and then stops. Then a few times and stops. Then it will turn over. In between each try I have to leave the key in "Run" position so the battery is on for a few seconds and that seems to help get the car starter. Almost like I have to charge the car with my batter...

Also I am getting a code P0135 which is O2 sensor heater circuit malfunction , which is weird because I just replaced both of the oxygen sensors.
My car is getting only 220 miles to the tank and it's a 12 gallon tank. That was mostly highway driving.

On the bright side I changed the oil and oil filter.

Last edited:

soviet snarf

1997 GSR 3d
The engine light I had is gone
I replaced the starter
and a healight bulb
and oil
and topped off power steering fluid
and today i'm doing rear brake pads

one other thing is I have had some difficulty sometimes, getting the shifter into position - it won't slide into the gears sometimes - especially 1st gear and reverse.

renarudo

Maybe you need to drain/refill your trans fluid. I had the same problem with my teg and it went away when I did that. Worse case your clutch or synchros might need attention....but then again I'm a noob on here in comparison to the OGs on here.

soviet snarf

1997 GSR 3d
I just sold the Integra. I will miss her, she was a good car. At least that's one less thing to worry about since I didn't need two cars right now.
Thanks to all of those who helped me out with my topic!
I might be back one day with another Integra if I ever decide to make it my race car in the future! Right now I'm leaning towards RWD or AWD though.
Peace out!