faded paint = repaint or a lot of touch-up paint?

ImElvis

Sup yo'
so my trunk, wing, and side mirrors are starting to fade from milano red to pink-ish white-ish...
i did some research on touch-up paint and from what i read, you should use it on small dents only.
i was wondering if it would be a good idea to just paint the whole top of my trunk, wing, and mirrors with the touch-up paint?
if not, how much does a good milano red re-paint cost? i'd consider repainting only the parts i need but i think the whole car might need a good re-paint since it's a '94.

teggygrl08

BBHG.. one love.
i would not do that with touch up paint. you'll probably want to get a respray of clear, it shouldn't be too much but i can't tell you an exact price. call your local auto body shop. if you have the money i'd do a whole milano red respray

XxCaryxX

I can tell you that a respray would be ALOT cheaper than getting a new color. (If you can have them steam clean the engine bay too, it would look sexy imo).

ImElvis

Sup yo'
i would not do that with touch up paint. you'll probably want to get a respray of clear, it shouldn't be too much but i can't tell you an exact price. call your local auto body shop. if you have the money i'd do a whole milano red respray
I can tell you that a respray would be ALOT cheaper than getting a new color. (If you can have them steam clean the engine bay too, it would look sexy imo).
what's ''respray''? is it less paint or ...?

XxCaryxX

Not as much body work is required in a respray. (Assuming no damage is done to the car of course). Not as much sanding and removing of the original or preexisting color. My knowledge could be incorrect however, as I am just speaking from research and the internet is not known for reliable facts, lol.

ImElvis

Sup yo'
Not as much body work is required in a respray. (Assuming no damage is done to the car of course). Not as much sanding and removing of the original or preexisting color. My knowledge could be incorrect however, as I am just speaking from research and the internet is not known for reliable facts, lol.
ohh that sounds way better then.. do you know an estimate of how much they go for?

XxCaryxX

Unfortunately, I do not know that answer, but I can tell you it will vary by shop. More often than not (At least where I live), you get what you pay for in your "shop choice."

ImElvis

Sup yo'
Unfortunately, I do not know that answer, but I can tell you it will vary by shop. More often than not (At least where I live), you get what you pay for in your "shop choice."
oh lol yeah same here..

you can buff it and it will bring the fresh paint under the old paint to the surface
i read somewhere that it doesn't work for Milano Red because it's a 2-step/stage process where the first layer is orange, and then finished with a clear layer with a mix of purple? giving it the "Milano" red name. but i'm not too sure, so feel free to correct me.

ImElvis

Sup yo'
i think for now i'm going to go try and get a detail + a wax and see if any of that helps.. if not then i guess more money to save up. probably should get my security system first.. hmm...

red98teg

Keep on Truckin
you can buff it and it will bring the fresh paint under the old paint to the surface
no no it will not. when there is this much sun/acid rain damage the color of the car itself is ruined/changed. trust me i have spent probably 20 weekends trying to get deep enough to being the red back. it just doesnt happen
i think for now i'm going to go try and get a detail + a wax and see if any of that helps.. if not then i guess more money to save up. probably should get my security system first.. hmm...
you can clay bar, scrub, wax and polish that car as much as you want but its not going to bring the color back. your only solution is to repaint the car. if you stick with MR or a different shade of red it will be MUCH cheaper. also, read up and learn how to do the prep work yourself. that will save you a BOAT LOAD of money

AcurInteg96

Just call me chris.
buffing will not bring back all the color but it will take off the white an bring back some of the color. but red paint is always the worst to fade. im doing a full car color change in the coming months and if you do that you better be willing to strip in down to a shell. cuz if you dont you will have ready showing in the cracks and what not.

ImElvis

Sup yo'
no no it will not. when there is this much sun/acid rain damage the color of the car itself is ruined/changed. trust me i have spent probably 20 weekends trying to get deep enough to being the red back. it just doesnt happen

you can clay bar, scrub, wax and polish that car as much as you want but its not going to bring the color back. your only solution is to repaint the car. if you stick with MR or a different shade of red it will be MUCH cheaper. also, read up and learn how to do the prep work yourself. that will save you a BOAT LOAD of money
buffing will not bring back all the color but it will take off the white an bring back some of the color. but red paint is always the worst to fade. im doing a full car color change in the coming months and if you do that you better be willing to strip in down to a shell. cuz if you dont you will have ready showing in the cracks and what not.

Yeah i'll probably just stick with MR and get a respray of it in the future. Thanks :thumbs up

j13

Keep It Clean
If you could get Milano Red in a spray can (touch up paint from a dealer) than ill paint the parts that need paining only. I would be pretty easy...just take off the wing, prep it, paint it. Prep the hatch then Mask off the whole car and leave the hatch exposed..paint it. Take off the mirorrs prep and paint.. And touch up any other scraches while you're at it. Shouldn't be too bad just don't skimp out on the prep..the more time you put the better...I've rattle canned a fender on my corolla and it looks PERFECT..it wouldn't of look so good if I didn't prep it good.

If you do have the cash or could save up quick get a good paint job. Shop around here charges between $1500-3000 that's the cost of an Integra but the results are JAW DROPPING mouth watering lol