Integra Failed Emissions - High NOX! please help

Jardine92DA

hey guys, I'm searching around as I write this thread for an answer, but I really need to know ASAP. I have a 1992 Integra RS, 5 speed with a B18B1. I took the car for a smog/emissions test today, and the car passed on everything but the NO ppm (NOx) section. The limit is 505 and my car read 2051. Anyone know what could cause such a high reading? I just put a skunk2 cat back exhaust (used) and a magnaflow 2" cat on (new). Everything else passed with flying colours, but the NO ppm failed by quite a bit.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!

Last edited:

phatintegra

Banned
Had the NOx issue on my Inline 6 Jeep after so many years I past it in 2009.

This is thie thing I done to my Jeep to past so you can get in ideal.
1. Full Tune up
2. New Cat all the way down to the muffler/tail pipe
3. O2 sensor
3. Colder thrmostat
4. switch form 93octane to the lowest grade gas 87 (double check with your vehicle manual for the octane of gas required).

Jardine92DA

hey guys....so I retarded the timing and the car still read too high (800-900). We even retarded it as far as it could go, and still no luck. I bought plugs last night, so I'm gonna throw those in. But I'm a little stuck...not sure where to go from here. Any other help?

Jardine92DA

So I did the sea foam method mentioned above, replaced the plugs with NGK V-Powers, and drove the hell out of it. Did the E test when the car was nice and hot...Still no luck :( I even retarded the timing right back, and the NOx read around 1,200 (limit-505). I checked out the vacuum lines, and they seem fine. I dunno where to go from here...any help or suggestion guys. I'm considering replacing the O2 sensor, but wouldn't the engine light be on if there was something wrong with it?

any help is appreciated!

(here's a pic of the test when the timing was retarded, and after i did the plugs/sea foam)

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
if you have the original engine in you should have a EGR valve. make sure it is opening and that it is flowing. if all that is ok it could be the cat, but it also looks like your running lean what will raise NOx

Jardine92DA

if you have the original engine in you should have a EGR valve. make sure it is opening and that it is flowing. if all that is ok it could be the cat, but it also looks like your running lean what will raise NOx
It's not the original engine. The 92-93 integras have B18A1's and this engine is a B18B1 which is from a 94-01 integra (not sure which exactly). The car is still OBD1, dunno if that helps. I read that there is no EGR valve on my car, only the automatics came with them, is this true? Yea I have a feeling I am running lean, how can I even the A/F mixture?

Jardine92DA

Do both the B18A1 and B18B1 only have one O2 sensor (pre-cat)?? My car doesn't have an O2 sensor on the Skunk2 cat back exhaust or Magnaflow cat I installed, is this normal? I installed the cat and exhaust system myself, and there was no O2 sensors for it. I'm just wondering because it may be possible that the B18B1 is meant to run with two o2 sensors (pre-cat/post-cat), but 92' integras with A1's only came with one before the cat. What do you guys think?

phatintegra

Banned
No EGR valve on the Gen 3 motors.

Who told you to use SeaFoam? The worst crap ever. Just think about it where does all that seafoam goes? Thru the exhaust and all that seafoam will clog up your cat. Can do other damage to the motor and tranny.

Jardine92DA

No EGR valve on the Gen 3 motors.

Who told you to use SeaFoam? The worst crap ever. Just think about it where does all that seafoam goes? Thru the exhaust and all that seafoam will clog up your cat. Can do other damage to the motor and tranny.
I've heard from quite a few people to try SeaFoam. Some people swear by it and say it's amazing, some people hate it. Oh well, i used it already. The numbers didn't really change from using it, so I'm sure it didn't damage anything. It's been around since 1942, I'm sure if its used properly its safe.

Jardine92DA

bad O2, clogged injectors,low fuel pressure
I think the injectors are fine...I ran a few cleaners, including SeaFoam (in the gas tank too) and the car runs very smooth. Not sure about low fuel pressure, and for some reason I am leaning towards a bad O2 sensor. But wouldn't the check engine light come on if there was a problem with the O2 sensor??

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
I think the injectors are fine...I ran a few cleaners, including SeaFoam (in the gas tank too) and the car runs very smooth. Not sure about low fuel pressure, and for some reason I am leaning towards a bad O2 sensor. But wouldn't the check engine light come on if there was a problem with the O2 sensor??
not necessairly but you really need to test it or at least check the voltage

Jardine92DA

Ok, I'm starting to think that my motor may be an OBD2 engine (converter to OBD1) so it is looking for two O2 sensors...does this sound possible? I'm 90% sure when I looked at the stamps on the head, I saw 9/8 which would mean 1998...I'll have to double check, but does this sound like it could be possible? Maybe my motor is searching for a second O2, so everything is all over the place. I'll also check to see what ECU I have in.