Should I buy an integra as my first car? I'm 16

Cobiispo

Hi guys,
I'm pretty sure there's been a ton of similar questions. But it is now 2014 and the newest integra is around 13 years old. These cars go pretty cheap and they are around my price range (5k). But they are kind of getting old like the 98 version. Would you think this is a good first car after it's been 15 years or not? Like if I buy a used one, will it still last me a good 5 years or something? How long do these last usually? And is this good for insurance and gas mileage? I want a car that looks stylish and I can upgrade some things like spoilers or wheels but not so expensive on insurance and gas. I'm not really going to go fast or any street racing, but can this go fast when stock? Or do I need tremendous upgrades?

R13

The other asshole
You could get a nice GSR for 5k and yes, They are very good cars if they haven't been abused, Mine has 230,xxx miles on it, It's been abused and it's still going strong with nothing but a head rebuild and basic maintenance, I get about 150~ miles out of every $10 I put in the tank and gsr's run premium so you're not getting much for $10.

Look around the forums, We have plenty of info on what to look out for when buying one.

You can always post a thread asking for opinions when you find one's you're interested in buying and we'll help you decide.

As far as insurance It's pretty average, Being under 18 it won't really be cheap no matter what you get but for people around 18-20 it's about $70 a month depending on your area and level of coverage.

And finally, Modding, I let that speak for itself :)

Photo credits go to Xjoenx, Dopematic, Goofygamer and misc images from google :mrgreen:

94RS

No fucks given.
As far as insurance It's pretty average, Being under 18 it won't really be cheap no matter what you get but for people around 18-20 it's about $70 a month depending on your area and level of coverage. :
Bullshit. I was paying close to 200/month when I drove my car.

Nick_C78

I pay 49 for daily and 39 for track car. Allstate insurance. It isn't worth paying for theft imo, unless your car gets jacked right away. And the deductable is huge for our cars cause high theft rate... put that money towards theft prevention instead.

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
Yeah I gotta switch to usaa.

Im in your situation five years down the road. My Integra is a 94 rs and I bought it as my first car just before I turned 16 with 142k miles on it. Now I'm 21, still love my car and am doing great at 190k miles. I don't think I'll ever sell it. :mrgreen:

Cobiispo

Okay, great! I should probably get a car less than 100k miles. And wow I love the third picture! That's what I want, I don't really want to modify the suspension and stuff, just want it to look nice from the outside where there's not dents and bad paint. I have another question, if I upgrade an engine to a more powerful one, will the insurance go higher? Thanks!

R13

The other asshole
Negative.

But my advice, Buy a GSR, If you have 5k there's no reason to get a slow LS/GS/RS and I see the non-vtec engines burning oil a lot, My gsr with 230k does not burn oil and I'm on the original pistons/rings.

Also don't be too afraid to get one with even up to 130k, You would not believe the abuse my engine has been through and I would trust it another 100k with proper maintenance.

Cobiispo

Negative.

But my advice, Buy a GSR, If you have 5k there's no reason to get a slow LS/GS/RS and I see the non-vtec engines burning oil a lot, My gsr with 230k does not burn oil and I'm on the original pistons/rings.

Also don't be too afraid to get one with even up to 130k, You would not believe the abuse my engine has been through and I would trust it another 100k with proper maintenance.
Oh, I was only going to buy the gsr because it had leather seats, but I guess I should really look for it now.
Can someone tell me if this car is any good?
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4616555290.html

If I got started with upgrading, how would I? I mean if I went to a car meet or looked at my friends integra, how would I know if his upgrades are shit or not?

R13

The other asshole
If I went to a car meet or looked at my friends integra, how would I know if his upgrades are shit or not?
Patience... Is key, Young grasshopper :mrgreen: These things have taken us many months, Years even to learn what is cheap shit and what is not.

Take it from me as I am, A real.. Jdm street racer.

Last edited:

here&there

In St. Louis, MO
Is that San Fran car able to pass Cali emissions?
It's just my opinion, but I'd look for a car with its original speedometer, a car with original (stock) parts, and finally, a car without stickers. These are red flags to me, as, I consider this a car which wasn't fast enough (for its owner) and was modified to go faster.
To the original question...yes an integra under 150,000 miles is a good 1st car.

Cobiispo

Is that San Fran car able to pass Cali emissions?
It's just my opinion, but I'd look for a car with its original speedometer, a car with original (stock) parts, and finally, a car without stickers. These are red flags to me, as, I consider this a car which wasn't fast enough (for its owner) and was modified to go faster.
To the original question...yes an integra under 150,000 miles is a good 1st car.
Oh, i thought an upgraded one would be better because its already modified. So i should build and not buy? What other things should i look out for when buying?

MiketheDyke

My job is clean toilets
http://www.clubintegra.com/board/showthread.php?t=53572

That should help :)

And yeah, don't buy a modified car. Stick to buying a stock car. Modified cars have been probably abused, especially if cheaply done.

Don't be like me when I was your age. I wanted a cool car, so I went and bought one. My biggest mistake was a red civic ex coupe. It looked soo nice and clean, but it was a piece of shit.