1991 Integra LS engine failure issue

j0bi1

Hi, I'm totally new here so I apologize in advance for my ignorance. I don't do mods to my car, but I like to do my own minor repair work whenever possible... rebuilt my front suspension, replaced my rotors, stuff like that. I bought the car with a rebuilt engine about a year or two ago and really want to hold on to it.

My problem is this: I hit something on the road that punctured my oil pan in a couple of places (without immediately realizing it due to heavy snow). My oil light came on and the heater stopped working, but I was so close to work, I was hoping I just had a small leak somewhere that I could fix by adding oil after work. I just kept watching the engine temp gauge to make sure it didn't overheat. Then, without overheating, my car just shut off. I tried to start it and it would almost turn over once, but then wouldn't. I looked at my oil pan and found the holes. I figured I must have seized the engine, but I can push it while it's in gear so I'm confused. I thought if your engine seizes, then it won't roll in gear. I still feel like the engine has to be a goner, but I'm going to start by changing the oil pan and see where that takes me.

Are there any suggestions on what possibly could be wrong with it based on this scenario?

Also, from what I have found online, my engine is most likely a B-16A, second generation. If I do need to replace the engine, is it easier to rebuild it than replace it? And if it's beyond my ability with a good manual, is it cheaper to rebuild than to replace and engine?

**edit: The belts all spin initially when I try to start it.

Last edited:

gugiey

Hi, I'm totally new here so I apologize in advance for my ignorance. I don't do mods to my car, but I like to do my own minor repair work whenever possible... rebuilt my front suspension, replaced my rotors, stuff like that. I bought the car with a rebuilt engine about a year or two ago and really want to hold on to it.

My problem is this: I hit something on the road that punctured my oil pan in a couple of places (without immediately realizing it due to heavy snow). My oil light came on and the heater stopped working, but I was so close to work, I was hoping I just had a small leak somewhere that I could fix by adding oil after work. I just kept watching the engine temp gauge to make sure it didn't overheat. Then, without overheating, my car just shut off. I tried to start it and it would almost turn over once, but then wouldn't. I looked at my oil pan and found the holes. I figured I must have seized the engine, but I can push it while it's in gear so I'm confused. I thought if your engine seizes, then it won't roll in gear. I still feel like the engine has to be a goner, but I'm going to start by changing the oil pan and see where that takes me.

Are there any suggestions on what possibly could be wrong with it based on this scenario?

Also, from what I have found online, my engine is most likely a B-16A, second generation. If I do need to replace the engine, is it easier to rebuild it than replace it? And if it's beyond my ability with a good manual, is it cheaper to rebuild than to replace and engine?

**edit: The belts all spin initially when I try to start it.
so you thought your oil is what keeps your car from over heating .....

replacing the engine is always cheaper.

92_JDM

there are multiple issues, depends if your willing to fix it. Check the timing, starter, distributor, and ecu.

JobotDestroy

Resident thug
Sucks bro! But shit happens :( Anyways pull all the spark plugs and see if you can turn the engine over by hand (counter clockwise) with a breaker bar at the dampner should be fairly easy. If not you may have some issues. Since you busted your oil pan start there versus other areas that wernt involved in the incident. If all is well then you can move on to checking other things. Good luck :)