Electrical Issues

subbyzzz

So.. my radio will work when I start it for the first time in a while... then after driving for 2 minutes it shuts off and wont turn back on.. the clock fades out to where I can't even see it, same with the dash and console lights.. they all fade out.. the windshield wipers are superrrrrrr slow and the heater barely blows. What could this be??

maddogg20

sounds like the alternator pooped out. Id remove the battery, have that tested outside the car at an autoparts store, and I would buy a new alternator and alternator belt. While you are at it, I would also replace the battery terminal ends.

Last edited:

98gsrDc2

stolen....
sounds like the alternator pooped out. Id remove the battery, have that tested outside the car at an autoparts store, and I would buy a new alternator and alternator belt. While you are at it, I would also replace the battery terminal ends while you are at it.
+1...that or a bad ground

99tegjawn

No definitely the alternator a bad ground and it wouldn't even turn on half the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maddogg20

One more thing....

When you do change the alternator, have the battery charged at the auto parts store, or charge it yourself if you have a home battery charger. If you don't charge the battery fully before you start the car once the new alternator is in, the alternator will have to work overtime to recharge the battery and also provide the power needed to run the car and doing this can immediately toast the alternator. Its called "alternator death" and its quite common.
If your home battery charger only has an amp gauge on it, leave it charging until the gauge reads between 0 and 2 amps. Charging a battery is like filling up a water tank, when the tank is empty, you can fill it at a fast rate, which is how a battery will charge when it is low, but as the tank fills, you have to slow the rate of fill or else it will overflow. The battery will accept less amperage as it gets closer to being fully charged.

Andy