How do I recharge my a/c?

SHADOW

I have a 1994 Integra LS stock, and I'm wondering...what type of freon do I put in it? Is it R12 or R134A?

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
theres a label by the battery that will tell you, its gonna be 134 regardless unless you know someone that has some.

SHADOW

I heard that in order to use R134A freon, you must evac your a/c and get a retrofit kit because the R12 and R134A cannot be mixed...is this true and necessary? I want to spend as little as possible and still get it to work properly. Also, I looked by the battery and the lable on the a/c unit didn't say what type of freon.

AcurInteg96

Just call me chris.
mine T134A and i have a 96. just buy a recharge kit and get the pressure level off the label.

jasonmoney89

134a

your car should be r134 they stoped using r12 in 93 and changed over in 94 to r134a just get a recharge
kit and install the 134 through ur low side line and make sure the compressor still works

SHADOW

How can I check if my compressor has gone bad?

acclude

cheap bastard
^^not necessarily true. As much as I hate A/C systems,I'm certified for them and know a lot about them. The car will be running with the A/C on as you recharge it. Once the pressure gets high enough, you should hear the compressor click on. 1 can usually = 1lb of frean and I forget the specs on the integra but it's probably around 1.5lbs or so so like 1.5 cans should fill it if it's bone dry to start with. The compressor will not cut on until there is at least a minimum amount of pressure in the system. If you put one full can in and it the compressor doesn't cut on then you either have a leak someone so it's just leaking right out (condensor and all connections is a good place to start looking) or a broken or disconnected pressure switch, or a bad or disconnected compressor clutch. If the compressor cuts on but it still doesn't cool, the evaporator may be bad or clogged or there could be an issue with the actual A/C controls inside the car. There are a handfull of other reasons why it wouldn't work right, but those are the basics. Have fun with your A/C. Eventually you'll join me over to the dark side and rip that shit out :) lol

you'll probally have to jump the pressure switch on the high side .
yes, this can help the charging since those cans don't put out a lot of pressure. Could speed the whole process up a lot.

SHADOW

How do I jump the pressure switch on the high side. Honestly. I'm not fimiliar with a/c systems, but am learning. Where would it be located and what does it look like. Also, do I need to evac the system before I recharge? (I'm asking if it's a "must," because I want everything to work, but I don't want to spend a lot of $$$$$. Also, how would I check the evaporator and make sure it's not clogged (where is it)? Thanks a bunch!

bcartwright88

I did a recharge last week, I vacuumed out my entire system for over an hour. Hooked up some gauges, opened up the low side and let the 134a rip. I put in a can and a half. Be sure to put a fan in front of your condenser. R-12 is for cars 93 and older. Although I have roughly 12lbs, if anyone wants or needs any pm me.

SpeedGoddess

Bcartwright88 - what pressures did you see with your system cycling? I think my '97 might have a blockage as it doesn't get near as cool as it used to. I don't think it has a leak because the clutch still cycles. This weekend I'm going to put some gauges on it. I just don't know what is normal high side vs low