How to recharge my own R-12 air conditioning system?

annauyt

Hello

I have a 1993 Integra. My car has the old-school R-12 style air conditioning system. I had my mechanic look at it today and he said it was "about 2 cans short". I asked him if he would recharge it but he says they don't do the old R-12 systems and doesn't know anyone who will! So I'm wondering: is this an easy job that I can do myself? There is a schrader-valve-looking valve right on the AC pipe right next to the radiator. Do I just hook up something to that valve and pump the fluid in there or what? Has anyone done this to their car here on the forums? Thanks for the tips

maddogg20

do a search on r12 to r134 conversion. Its quite a process but worth it. Youll need to drain the system, change the o-rings, drain the oil from the compressor, change the reciever dryer, flush the system, put it under vacuum, convert the fittings, and fill it. Thats the RIGHT way to do it lol.

hidenplanvew

I wouldnt get your hands near the oil in the sytem... theres a very illigal way to just remove the ac system find some where no one can see you or the cloud your going to make... Unbolt the hi pressure line get a 4 foot somthing and bumb the fitting off the compressor and stand clear... I dont say do it but its an option... Once again I cant be held to any problems you might get into by doing this! THIS IS ILLIGAL

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Please dont Evacuate the system into the air, R-12 is 8000x worse for the environment than CO2. It leaked a lot of it out, if not all of it. Get it sucked dry and upgrade to R-134A system or evacuate the system and have a car without A/C.
- Aaron

Teggykid952

You can't even buy R-12 anymore I believe. You have to have a permit is what I've heard. Just convert. If you haven't done it already, there's no time like the present. It would have to be done eventually anyways

Unless you have the proper equipment to do this job( and it doesn't sound like you do), please take it to a professional. R-12 is not something that should be vented to the atmosphere.

ralfferly

Do not touch your ac!!!

I am an AC/R Tech universally and automotive qualified! If some one sees you leak R-12 in to the air it is a 10 year prison sentence and I do believe a $100,000.00 fine and the one that reports you gets a $50,000.00 reward for doing so. Also as said earlier it is very hazardous for you and the environment!!! The conversion is best done by a professional. You have to be certified to mess with refrigerant and the location has to be certified as well. So I would not do anything to your AC system.

Teggykid952

I redid my AC system. New compressor, expansion valve, and belt. It's not very hard and pretty straightforward.