93Ls to vtec frankenstein ???

daddy

newguy
Ok, i have this oppertunity to buy a poormans type r. The guy im buying it from says he dosent know how well it will run b/c the year and a half hes owned it he never put it in. He bought it built from some other guy. Im buying it through paypal b/c the guy is 15 hours from me and from what i understand thats a really safe way to buy. What i need to know is, is there anyway to check to see if the motor will run before i swap it into my teg. Or run safely.. Or do i have to take it apart. Also what all will i need to convert my car to use this engine? As for wiring harness and ecu go? I have a 93 ls thats already been swaped with a b18b1 out of a 96. Ive tried to find info on this question but everyone gives me a different answer, and everything i read is different too. Honestly i cant find anything on how to do this with a frankinstien b16a b18c. Thanks, any info is muchley appreciated. Any links to this info would also be awesome. Thank you, coreyd

one_stitch

In my opinion I think you are taking a large risk buying a motor you know nothing about. also, buying a motor sight unseen is a large risk too. I understand buying things at a good deal, believe me. I am guessing it's a good deal because of the distance. You can find a motor locally with patience and looking hard enough. you might even find one set up the way you are going to set it up so you will know exactly what you will need. If you do move forward though, there isn't really a test you can do to see if the engine works. But I would look down the oil filler hole and see if the oil looks normal and not white and creamy. If it does look white or milky that means blown head or cracked block. check the oil level with the dipstick to make sure its not been ran dry or see if the oil is sticky and black. you can also take the valve cover off pretty easily to look at the tops of the valves and just make sure it looks normal. But you will need the wiring harness for that motor and the ecu for that motor just to get it installed and running. I would do that before chipping the ecu or flashing it. Just get it in and operating normally first before tuning it. Thats my opinion anyway. I am guessing there will be some disagreement by others but, thats how I would do it. Keep in mind there are always different ways to tune these cars , so you will get different answers to the same questions. Good luck!!