Hola all, Having issues with a 3rd gen integra.

Ka1ipz0

Hey all! First time poster. Long time reader, Kudos for all of the help I've gotten here without even subscribing. Been into Hondas for about eight years now. Started with a 91 civic EX and worked up to a 95 DC4. Unfortunately mine isn't the one giving me issues (She's normal.. Last time I checked :lol: )

My friend is running a 97 DC4 with a B18B1. OBD2 ECU in it. He has a skunk 2 intake manifold on it. Stock motor for the most part besides a cold air intake, manifold, and a altered exhaust with a Greddy can instead of the stock muffler. 5 speed stock transmission (Non GSR or type R).

About 2 weeks ago, he ended up separating the main motor mount on the drivers side from the motor itself, he wasn't running the front torque mounts. The motor fell on top of the driver's side axle, and ripped the axle shaft right out of the cup. I ended up having the spare mounts so I volunteered to put the motor back into proper placement for him. Since then, the fun has amounted to tons...

So basically, got the motor mounted back in. Went to go start it and the car had 3 CELs stored in the ECU. I checked them with a code reader before trying to get it running, they were fuel trim malfunction, running rich, and o2 sensor. He said that it's been throwing codes for a while now and he didn't mess with them because he hasn't had the time. I cleared the codes with the code reader and I went on to start the motor. I figured it would CEL if I ran into the same issues.

I tried starting it for about 10 seconds each try for about a minute, but it's just not firing up. The motor is getting fuel, plugs are sparking bright blue(New distributor on it he says), and compression is at 150 psi across all 4 cylinders. When I turn the key, I can smell a heavy scent of fuel from the engine bay. The skunk 2 intake manifold is just making a high pitched whining noise after the starter cranks, and the plugs smell like fuel. Distributor is in the correct offset and the firing order is correct. I connected a new valve cover ground and checked the others (Transmission, Thermostat) but still, no luck.. The ECU isn't throwing CELs. I've pulled the IACV plug and it wouldn't code, But yet when I pull the sensor above the injectors. It CELs immediately.

I hate to come here with my first thread and post being a problem. I just wanted to ask what all you think about the symptoms. He did start it a couple of times after the motor fell out, and I have had the thought that it's jumped timing. There isn't any slack in the belt and when I re-threaded the holes for the heli-coils, I cleaned out the timing area afterwards before attempting to start it. Thanks in advance for the reply and sorry for the length of the post. I just figured the more detail I have, the less blanks have to filled in.

94RS

No fucks given.
Oh god, I was hoping this wouldn't happen to someone else...

I can't be of any help on the problems, but my original engine took a shit the exact same way.

Ka1ipz0

Makes me grateful I replaced the mounts on mine, were caulked into the car when I bought it. I celebrated getting his mounted back in but the joy was cut short by the turn of a key... lol.

Last edited:

Ka1ipz0

But that to top off the day must've sucked like a hoover. I recommended he swapped his motor when I saw the devastation but he's on a budget getting into a new place. We're going to time it back to TDC this weekend so I'll post if we have some success.

Last edited:

Ka1ipz0

Yeah, I found the culprit. The tensioner ended up having 2 pounds of torque holding it in lol. Took that and the belt with it and jumped timing. Luckily no bent valves...

Last edited: