Moving to San Diego This Year. Info or Tips?

DB7ish

Well, finally got my orders. I should be in San Diego by November. Looks like I'll be calling it home for the next 3-4 years at least. Never been to the west coast, always heard good things and wanted to go. Grew up in Miami, spent a year in Great Lakes (about an hour north of Chicago), and spent almost 2 years here in Pensacola.

I just wanted to ask for any info or tips from any one who might know the area. I was thinking of getting a small apartment in Chula Vista, since its close enough to base, well priced, and crime rate doesn't seem to be insane. Also, how is the import or just car scene in general down there? Are there any big meets in the area I should be aware of?

Also, I'm hoping to learn how to surf before I get out there. I have a buddy that might be teaching me soon. I love the beach scene, been living near the beach since I was a baby.

Well, thanks in advance for any info.

Noneed2Hate

Let me guess, you're a seamen? :p

I'm up in North County about 45 minutes north of Downtown SD. To my understanding there are Cars and Coffee meets etc. Plus there is stuff in Orange County, LA, and Riverside County if there isn't enough in SD.

I haven't really been to any meets aside from a small local one, but I'd be down to cruise to one with you.

Are you going to be at Coronado?

DB7ish

Yep, I'm a sailor, E4 though (Third Class Petty Officer). I'll be going to my second command which will be a ship out of San Diego.

Sweet, glad to hear they'll be a decent car scene. Pensacola doesn' t have much. And yeah, I won't mind heading up to LA or Orange County, I wanted to explore when I got there anyways. I'll let you know when I get there. Thanks for the info.

Noneed2Hate

Yep, I'm a sailor, E4 though (Third Class Petty Officer). I'll be going to my second command which will be a ship out of San Diego.

Sweet, glad to hear they'll be a decent car scene. Pensacola doesn' t have much. And yeah, I won't mind heading up to LA or Orange County, I wanted to explore when I got there anyways. I'll let you know when I get there. Thanks for the info.
No worries, I won't hold against you as an E4 Marine ;) :p

Sounds good man, keep me in the know. Any idea when you'll be over here roughly?

Last edited:

DB7ish

Oh sweet, so you might actually know a bit about the bases and commissaries and such.

Orders say 11NOV, so I'm pretty sure it'll be sometime in November. But, we'll see how it plays out.

And thanks man, I definitely will.

Noneed2Hate

Oh sweet, so you might actually know a bit about the bases and commissaries and such.

Orders say 11NOV, so I'm pretty sure it'll be sometime in November. But, we'll see how it plays out.

And thanks man, I definitely will.
Jesus, they cut you orders that far out? O_O I can't even right now.

Yeah I have a bit of know how in regards to the area, so if you need to know anything all you have to do is ask. I'm at Camp Pendleton.

DB7ish

Yeah, actually started applying for orders in DEC. My PRD is SEP of this year.

I'm an ET. Radars and Comms.