Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I mean amsoil vs gm synchromesh.

Both of those were still not great compared to motul gear 300 or motul comp FF

soviet snarf

1997 GSR 3d
Hi Guys.
I'm about to order parts today.
I was thinking about throwing in some spark plugs since they are cheap. what brand is best?
Also which Oxygen Sensor brand is best?
Thanks

Last edited:

soviet snarf

1997 GSR 3d
I decided to try and get above average or better-seeming quality parts, base on the suggestions and research I've done. Since the engine has almost 180k miles on it I want to treat it right.

1997 ACURA INTEGRA 1.8L L4
BOSCH 13363 Oxygen Sensor $ 62.89 1 $ 62.89
BOSCH 13539 Oxygen Sensor $ 38.79 1 $ 38.79
CENTRIC 30903740 (309.03740) Brake Pad $ 28.99 1 $ 28.99
DAYCO 95247K1S Timing Belt Component Kit $ 36.89 1 $ 36.89
FEL-PRO VS50498R Valve Cover Gasket $ 16.44 1 $ 16.44
NGK 3764 Spark Plug $ 6.56 4 $ 26.24

Shipping Ground $ 20.42
Order Total $ 230.66
Thanks again for buying your auto parts at RockAuto!

Last edited:

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
The VTEC solenoid gasket is a common leaking problem and not hard to replace. It's Honda part # 15825-P08-005. If there's not an Acura dealer near you, Honda may also have one in stock because it's also in the '99-'00 Civic Si, and the VTEC Del Sol's. It's $20.88 at my own local Honda dealership, but I found one for $14.23 shipped on Ebay.
There's also a smaller gasket underneath the top section of the solenoid. Probably not where your leak is coming from, but might as well replace it while your in there. It's part # 36172-P08-015, costs $8.50 at Honda, I couldn't find one cheaper than that on Ebay.

The cam seal is also a common leak on GSR's, the OEM seal really sucks. There's many aftermaket companies that make cam seals like OBX, SR, Password JDM, Golden Eagle, Skunk2, and more. Choose a color/style you like from those. Warning, the cam seal is harder to replace than it looks.

Last edited:

phatintegra

Banned
When you do the timing belt also do the water pump and tensioner at the same time.

Spark plugs. NGK all the way

Oil I use Ardeca in all my vehicles.

soviet snarf

1997 GSR 3d
Thanks for all your advice.
The timing belt kit I ordered comes with the Cam seal and the Cam tensioners. I decided to not replace the water pump right now because there is no problem with it. (by the way, according to my mechanic, timing belt kit replacement isn't hard just time consuming)
The spark plugs I ordered are NGK Iridium's.

I'm going to look online for the Vtec solonoid and the seal underneath, and Distributor O-ring (30110-pa1-732) online.
Here's what I found so far:
vtec solenoid
the other vtec solenoid I found one link that it show it has a mesh screen and the other one doesn't... which one is the right one?

Last edited:

soviet snarf

1997 GSR 3d
well we couldn't start today, my mechanic is sick. we will start next Saturday.
but good news, we test-fitted his Honda Del Sol seats, and they fit so much better! The seating position is about 2" lower so I have a lot more head room! I am tall 6'2" so it will be a great help, especially for autocross. plus the seats are lighter and have a green stripe which will match the green paint for now :)

soviet snarf

1997 GSR 3d
So we did a TON of work today!
First of all, my mechanic determined the timing belt is fine! So we did not replace it, which saved us lots of time/energy in today's hot weather. We didn't get to the rear brake pads either, i'll do it later.
We replaced the O2 sensors, Spark plugs, along with the Spark Plug wires, upper and lower Vtec Solonoid seals, head gasket seal and the 4 circular seals on top that came with it, and distributor O-ring.

The car immediately runs/drives/shifts so much better! I'm very happy! When we took out the old spark plugs the holes were FILLED with oil lol....
And also I purchased his Honda Del Sol seats and it's a perfect fit and about 2" lower seating position. I have noticed the ride seems a lot harsher/stiffer now. It must be all the padding in the GSR leather seats that made it less harsh normally. But it's worth it, at least for now.

I will be posting pics soon

soviet snarf

1997 GSR 3d
Yeah the valve cover seal - the square looking seal .

Bad news again... the car has had a lot of trouble starting. It won't even turn over just makes a loud click sound. After many attempts and turning electronics on and off I finally can get the car started.
After getting the car fixed up, I had to drive 2 hours into the mountains to move. And then back and forth again so 4 more hours. On the way home (with 1 hours left) at a gas station I opened the hood to let it cool down and noticed the ground wire connected to the engine was loose - the bolt had come out!
I spent an hour at a parts store figuring out the right size bolt by process of elimination and finally got it reconnected.
Was it really bad to drive around like that? And could it have caused my problems starting later?

My mechanic told me over the phone it sounds like I need a new starter motor/assembly

soviet snarf

1997 GSR 3d
I guess it's not bad to drive around with a bad ground

I'm about to order a starter motor... any suggestions on brand?
TYC is the cheapest at around $80
and there is DENSO for $130 and REMY for $150