Crank pulley very loose

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
I bought a civic with a d16y8 block, d15b7 head that I was told "something is wrong with the timing belt". I noticed the tensioner was wobbly. Wondering if it was a common issue or if it was major....I know I'm vague but bear with me. Any help or ideas?

" I’d rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built it for me. "

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
Well the kid took the timing belt loose, because "something was wrong". Only mechanic work I have done is simple stuff like CV axles, shocks and struts, alternator, and helped on a motor swap.....but anyways, took the tire off and the pulley looks bent to hell and back like someone got a pry bar to it. The gear for the timing belt on the inside of it looks good. I'll take off all the belts and take the pulley off to see what the damage is...

" I’d rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built it for me. "

Nick_C78

He bent the pulley? Is that even possible? I would think it would crack before it bent, those damn things are brittle. Post pics of what you are talking about because the title says loose pulley, first post says wobbly tensioner, recent post says bent pulley.

jbrown97ls

He bent the pulley? Is that even possible? I would think it would crack before it bent, those damn things are brittle. Post pics of what you are talking about because the title says loose pulley, first post says wobbly tensioner, recent post says bent pulley.

They are brittle as fuck! OP's pulley can't be bent; if it is I'll be shocked.

MyLittleTeg

Honda Enthusiast
Okay sorry about confusion, I took the belts off and when I went to take the pulley off, it was finger tight. Impacted it back on and now all that's wrong is a timing belt tensioner. Cranked it for a minute and she sounds great. Didn't want to run it long and jump time so I cut it off and I'm picking up a tensioner in the morning. Then I can drive it and see If I want to keep it